Getting impatient

Fenton

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Staffordshire, England
I've built my glass tank. The aquarium manufacturers who supplied the glass and silicone said to wait a week. The silicone bottle says 4 days??? The guys I got my glass from say it MAY still leach toxins in the water, surely the guys who make the silicone wouldn't say 4 days if this was the case?

Fenton

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Staffordshire, England
The thing is 7 day will turn into 3 weeks. If I wait til Sunday (6days) I am in all day to fill it and be there. As it's my mums 50th the weekend after and I don't really fancy filling it after work when I'll only be there to make sure there's no leaks for a few hours. Is 6 days reasonable?

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
How big is the tank? A quarter inch bead of silicone takes 7 days to cure, thicker and it may take up to two weeks. While the outside may seem dry and firm the inside is not yet and the inside is what counts in this situation. Sure, it'll probably hold, but it may also damage the seams. May not see the damage now but down the road the tank will probably need a reseal.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
I'd say bite the bullet and wait the three weeks. Safety first, money second, and pleasure third. Unless you want the chance of having to redo all this in the near future, I'd wait. The benefits outweigh the risk.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
If you do wait the 3 weeks too, it will give you time to sort out decor etc, if you're anything like most of us; your ideas will probably change 10x a day lol

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Fenton

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Staffordshire, England
If you do wait the 3 weeks too, it will give you time to sort out decor etc, if you're anything like most of us; your ideas will probably change 10x a day lol

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
The decor is done lol. Everything is done apart from lifting the canopy on (2mins) so it's 3weeks of watching air circulate round it lol. I do appreciate wwhat you guys are saying though. However I'm not waiting 3weeks. It's taken a month to put it all together. I'll just have to have a really late night next week and wait the 7or 8 days depending on my shift. I understand 6 days is not enough. But if I wait 3 weeks I'll be hanging from the thing with anticipation lol

thanks guys. I will listen unlike some people on hear. I know how frustrating that can be.

Fenton

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Staffordshire, England
So today I've called the company who supplied my glass and silicone, they called the silicon manufacturer. The manufacturer says that the 4days that's written on the bottle was tested by essentially making a golf ball out of silicone, and then after 4 days cutting it in half and the whole thing was fully cured all the way through and this was done at standard room temperature 22*C and average humidity (more of both makes it cure faster) my 220 gal is running constantly at 26*c and I loose about 10 gallons of water ever 2 days as my canopy has seen better days. So he's told me that there he can't see any reason that I can't fill it on Sunday. (Unless I've made a tennis ball with the silicone). Which I sure haven't...... I Can't Wait !!!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store