GPH for RUGF or Siphon water from UGF ?

qguy

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
Vancouver. Canada
The tank is 105G. Filters Turnover rate is 1090 GPH, so there is a healthy circulation. Planing to make 2 RUGF, so on a 24 x 24 bottom, which is half of the tank, How much GPH is needed to get the mulm out?. Got a spare 750 gph pump and plan on doing a RUGF to avoid cleaning the gravel as the tank would contain toothy fishes :). The RUGF would not run all the time, it would only be run say an hour or two once a week to save electricity.

Another options is to just siphon out the water from the UGF during water changes, you think the siphon would have enough suction to get the mulm out ?

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
Nothing about an UGF helps with clean gravel reverse or not in my experience. It makes a compartment of low flow under the substrate, even if ya run heaps of water through it, the area it covers spreads out the flow significantly.
You'd be better off building/buying an extra long siphon to keep fingers out the tank I think. Or use sand, and just stir it every few months.
:

qguy

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
Vancouver. Canada
There must be a way, its basically getting the right pipe layout/holes in the pipe and GPH for a certain area. BUT I think the GPH would be ridiculous in order to be effective.

administrator

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2011
If you want to bottom to stay clean, then leave it bare. It does not look great but works in terms of less maintenance. If not, I would suggest getting use to doing regular gravel vacs. RUGF can be tricky to get right and even then its not an end all solution.

In the end, do what you think is best and see what happens. Good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store