tank build and move question.

Wenzo0o0o0oo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2010
usa
SO, guys please help,, so i have a 125 gallon for around 3-4 years..currently i am building a 300+ but i don't want my 125 to go wasted, so I'm using it as a sump, so what do i do with my fish in the meantime? .. do you think guys think i could put the fish in a 30 gallon trash can?.. those from rubbermaid for garbage ,, and put maybe a fx5 in there and a airstone?..the other question is that if i want to use the old filter to cycle the new tank,, what should i do with the fishes in the trash can?.. i think they will die soon.. without a filter or BB of any kind,,,, anyone can help?.. fishes are ,, arowana, blood parrot, marble motoro ,NTT ,,thanks all!!:grinno::grinno::grinno::grinno:

ChrisP75

Exodon
MFK Member
May 26, 2013
Sacramento
Give people some time to answer. How big are the fish? I think once you set your filter up to the new tank it will be ready for the fish to go back, I believe I was told that, so you shouldn't have any fish storage issues. in theory I see moving them to the temporary holding container getting everything switched and then putting them in all at the same time as a possibility

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Wenzo0o0o0oo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2010
usa
Give people some time to answer. How big are the fish? I think once you set your filter up to the new tank it will be ready for the fish to go back, I believe I was told that, so you shouldn't have any fish storage issues. in theory I see moving them to the temporary holding container getting everything switched and then putting them in all at the same time as a possibility

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
all around 6-10 inches thx

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Squirtle919

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Within Earth
I normally store them in a suitable sized container place a large airstone in there ( I get the move done in a few hours ) if longer I would be placing a seeded filter in the tub.

Place the fish into the new tank with all the old fish water, store it in plastic bins etc & place the seeded filter onto the tank.

I normally only do this with cichlids though, other fish I like to let the tank sit for a while.

toolsforfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2014
Dark Side of the Moon
I normally store them in a suitable sized container place a large airstone in there ( I get the move done in a few hours ) if longer I would be placing a seeded filter in the tub.

Place the fish into the new tank with all the old fish water, store it in plastic bins etc & place the seeded filter onto the tank.

I normally only do this with cichlids though, other fish I like to let the tank sit for a while.
I agree you should go by your local home depot/lowes(whatever it is) and get like 10-15 five gallon buckets at least! and just return them when your done. i have fish a friend who have done that. but the old water is very important or useful in helping to cycle the new tank. as well as the seed filter.
in my experience the quicker the change the better, less time in a temp. tank the less stress. hope this helps!

Squirtle919

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Within Earth
BB is not in the water but the temp & parameters are, this is the environment the fish have been used too. Adding the old water just reduces shock.

Yes you can move all the water & filter over at once. when I moved a tank last weekend I dumped all the water into a tub put fish in tub pumped the water into tank once in new area then added filter & fish + old water & a little new water.

Just be careful as if your using a canister and leave it too long not running you will lose BB, this can spike the tank if too much dies from my understanding.

Wenzo0o0o0oo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2010
usa
BB is not in the water but the temp & parameters are, this is the environment the fish have been used too. Adding the old water just reduces shock.

Yes you can move all the water & filter over at once. when I moved a tank last weekend I dumped all the water into a tub put fish in tub pumped the water into tank once in new area then added filter & fish + old water & a little new water.

Just be careful as if your using a canister and leave it too long not running you will lose BB, this can spike the tank if too much dies from my understanding.
Won't it be like a %100 water change if I didn't put in any water?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store