Siniperca Scherzeri - Leopard / Korean Perch

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NY
I bought one of these guys from Wes back in 2010 but unfortunately lost him. It was a real shame as he was an awesome fish, sure he was a pain who'd only eat frozen but he always stayed still for the cam and was a peaceful addition to my pred tank. Since then I kept promising myself I'd pick up another one but every time they where available I was never in a situation where I could buy one till now. So I wound up picking up 3 of these guys and what do you know they surprised me.

Kept in a small group they're actually aggressive, not overly so but enough to be interesting to watch. Well at least in a well decorated tank in a barren tank they ignored each other and everyone else. I had never seen aggression in my first Scherzeri but these three are starting up with everyone. Giving grief to my Tapajos 1 Pike chasing my Electric Blue Acara pair and whoopin' on my Afer as well as chasing each other. Luckily the aggression isn't serious since they aren't biting just charging open mouthed so no torn fins or body damage yet(knock on wood) but their big mouths really put the fear into my cichlids and knife. You get to see them often with dorsal spines raised gills flared and mouth wide open, which is a pretty impressive sight. Anyway I figured I'd share some pics of what I feel is an under appreciated fish, hope you guys enjoy.

Siniperca Scherzeri 2-8-22-2014#4.JPG
IMG_9756#3.JPG
IMG_9802#3.JPG

Siniperca Scherzeri 2-8-22-2014#4.JPG

IMG_9756#3.JPG

IMG_9802#3.JPG

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Nice photos,I got one from Wes recently and it pretty much hides up behind the filter tube.It is eating live feeders for now since I haven't gotten around to training it to eat frozen food yet.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NY
Nice photos,I got one from Wes recently and it pretty much hides up behind the filter tube.It is eating live feeders for now since I haven't gotten around to training it to eat frozen food yet.
Thanks, one of my Scherzeri was doing the same thing, hovering just under the spray bar in a basically barren tank but he would come to the front when I approached. I thought looking for food but he wouldn't take anything. Currently only one of the three Scherzeri I have is eating frozen the other two rush to the top but just watch the shrimp sink.

By the way do you still have your S. Kneeri and other perches? Would love to see an update.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I no longer have the kneeri or the other perches other than this shertzeri.I would love to get another kneeri as I think they are the best looking in the family,after the chuatsi that is.I'm still hoping someone will bring them in some day.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NY
I no longer have the kneeri or the other perches other than this shertzeri.I would love to get another kneeri as I think they are the best looking in the family,after the chuatsi that is.I'm still hoping someone will bring them in some day.
I'm hoping so too since I've only seen Kneri available once and it was your thread that led me to when Wes had them in. My fave is between Scherzeri and Whiteheadi. As for Chuatsi, maybe I'm completely off but isn't there some issue with importing them now that there wasn't before? Could've sworn I heard that mentioned somewhere but searching through MFK real quick I couldn't find anything. Might've seen it in a personal email between me and Wes or Jeff because I was searching for a Chuatsi not long ago.

tydus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2007
California
Dude cool pickups and those are some sweet pictures!!! I picked one up from Wes a couple months back. I love the patterns on these fish. My perch isn't too active, he stays on the bottom left corner and occasionally hovers by my fx5 outputs. He only gets active when it comes to feeding time and he is a peaceful fish as long as you are too big to be eaten. I had him on frozen silversides, shrimp, tilapia and feeders before but he is now eating sinking carnivore pellets. All I did was starve and he gave in. Lol. Sorry for the dirty tank, I've been a busy college student. I hope to see more updates of everyone's fish!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1409121262.815140.jpg

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I'm hoping so too since I've only seen Kneri available once and it was your thread that led me to when Wes had them in. My fave is between Scherzeri and Whiteheadi. As for Chuatsi, maybe I'm completely off but isn't there some issue with importing them now that there wasn't before? Could've sworn I heard that mentioned somewhere but searching through MFK real quick I couldn't find anything. Might've seen it in a personal email between me and Wes or Jeff because I was searching for a Chuatsi not long ago.
I did see a mention of the chuatsi's legal status but I don't remember who it was that said it and I haven't seen anything else about them..Tydus,your feeding info is very encouraging.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NY
Dude cool pickups and those are some sweet pictures!!! I picked one up from Wes a couple months back. I love the patterns on these fish. My perch isn't too active, he stays on the bottom left corner and occasionally hovers by my fx5 outputs. He only gets active when it comes to feeding time and he is a peaceful fish as long as you are too big to be eaten. I had him on frozen silversides, shrimp, tilapia and feeders before but he is now eating sinking carnivore pellets. All I did was starve and he gave in. Lol. Sorry for the dirty tank, I've been a busy college student. I hope to see more updates of everyone's fish!

Thanks man, much appreciated! Same here I like the whole Leopard pattern as well as the body shape, they have that streamlined but not overly so body, those wicked spines and those formidable teeth. My trio are pretty active as they patrol quite often despite having numerous places to hide. There's definitely a dominant one who chases the other two away from his hide and it's immediate area. They also show aggression toward my cichlids which was a surprise because my first Scherzeri never showed any aggression. I had originally bought one from Wes and was this year and was surprised by his aggression, bought two more and it seems to have increased their aggression level. Nice work on getting him on pellets, gives me hope I might be able to do the same with mine.

Couple of more pics......
IMG_9804#2.JPG
IMG_9839#2.JPG
IMG_9840#2.JPG

IMG_9804#2.JPG

IMG_9839#2.JPG

IMG_9840#2.JPG

chris1990

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2014
china
they are very popular food fish here in china , quite good tasting too . Always available live in the fish section of every supermarket and open market along with northern snakehead etc

tydus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2007
California
Thanks man, much appreciated! Same here I like the whole Leopard pattern as well as the body shape, they have that streamlined but not overly so body, those wicked spines and those formidable teeth. My trio are pretty active as they patrol quite often despite having numerous places to hide. There's definitely a dominant one who chases the other two away from his hide and it's immediate area. They also show aggression toward my cichlids which was a surprise because my first Scherzeri never showed any aggression. I had originally bought one from Wes and was this year and was surprised by his aggression, bought two more and it seems to have increased their aggression level. Nice work on getting him on pellets, gives me hope I might be able to do the same with mine.

Couple of more pics......
View attachment 1033817
View attachment 1033818
View attachment 1033819
They must be aggressive towards fish that look similar. My Korean perch is well behaved with all of my fish and it could be because my tank has no hiding places and is bare bottom.
But I agree, I love the streamlined shape and patterns of the Korean perch. I would also love to add a chuatsi to my tank if someone brings them in. It was easy to pellet train, just starve and be patient. I also forgot ask you guys the temperature you guys are keeping the Korean perches in?

they are very popular food fish here in china , quite good tasting too . Always available live in the fish section of every supermarket and open market along with northern snakehead etc
That's cool!! I would love to try some but it would be an expensive meal here lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store