New Tank. Suggestions on moving.

Spontaneous

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2010
SE Washington
So some of you read I was getting a 75g. Got it, it leaked, turns out it's cracked so scrapping it and am picking up an entire 125g setup. From stand to fish. I'm not exactly sure what kind of fish besides a large pleco, and a large assortment of cichlids. My question....

I am gong to have to empty this tank to move it safely. I plan on keeping the filter/media in a bucket of the same water and same with the fish. I'm going to try and keep as much of the original water as possible. BUT, I also plan on changing the decorations and gravel out to some new ones. Would it be best to change the gravel and keep the decorations until the tank is reastablished? I have no where to keep the fish until it's stable and I want to keep the fish as stress free as possible. Or will it be ok to remove all gravel nd decor at once? Thank you for any input! Also, best/safest way to move the tank itself. I want to try and keep it from getting cracked or broken during the move. Styrofoam? Pillows?

760fishaddict

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2014
yucca valley
As long as the media in the filters is untouched then nothing else matters, its best to wait untill you have all the new stuff befor u go just taking stuff out. If your moving the tank for get about saving the water its more trouble then its worth. Box the fish up (with bubblers if possible) take every thing out, either get 2 guys or two rollers from uhaul(7.99 each to rent) or both although I just moved a 135 gallon into my garage and it was light to me. You may have a mini cycle when replacing your gravel and you may not, it all depends on the fish load and how well you protect your filter media. Note filter media is alive and it needs to be fed so the sooner you get it back in the better. Make sure to condition the water mix and wait about 20 min befor turning the filters on or adding fish to make sure no chlorine is left in the water, I would recommend using prime. 1 last note try to get the temp as close as possible to what is was but if the fish are boxed up for more then a hour u will have to float them the temperature of the boxed water maybe fare less the the old tank water temp.

Spontaneous

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2010
SE Washington
Thanks, The filters will be fine in a bucket. The move isn't far but hopefully it won't take took long to catch the fish. I'll bring a bubller with me to put in the cooler and buckets we will be transporting them in. Just going across town thankfully. Will probably scrap the gravel and some decor when I set it back up. Hopefully I can get the water temp to change quickly lol.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
I'll repeat what's been said. Don't save any of the old water. All the good stuff is in the filters.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Spontaneous

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2010
SE Washington
Ok! I will not keep any of the water lol. Supposedly this tank is pretty dirty. Lady was going to clean it, told her not to worry about it, I'll do it when I get it since it will be emptied.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store