Optimal FX5 Setup

wiggywhitetrash

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2012
Hinckley, UK
Hey

I bought an FX5 about 18 months ago and I've never really been happy with it's performance. Although the flow seems good, it seems to struggle picking up any kind of debris unless it floats right in front of the intake, and I tend to rely on gravel vacuuming to pick up any solid waste. The first thing I think I did wrong was set up the intake on the opposite side of the tank (4 ft 90g) to the filter. At the weekend I plan to buy a new length of tubing and move the intake to the same side as the filter, should I expect to see an increase in flow from this? I also plan to change some of the media, currently, I have...

Top basket - coarse foam
Middle basket - Seachem Matrix (pretty sure that this stuff isn't very effective)
Bottom basket - ceramic rings
Not using any filter floss or carbon

Tank is home to a Jag cichlid growout (6ft planned for next year). Would like to hear some thoughts on this setup and would could be done to improve it.

Thanks

Steve

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
get some powerheads to stir things up. they have good flow but its a large pipe so not much suction, im not sure any filter will draw all the crud up... besides if it were too powerful then it would be useless for sand substrate tanks! thats why i went tiled bottom, everything flows nicely then, i run 2x fx6 and a 1200lph powerhead and i do very minimal hoovering with my battery tank hoover, once a foughtnight around the rocks... my 100g with sand needs to be done everyday to look clean...

wiggywhitetrash

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2012
Hinckley, UK
Yea, I plan to go bare bottom once the 6 footer arrives, a lot of people say that gravel is the worst enemy for water quality. What have got in your fx6s?

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
Factory sponges and high quality ceramics are all you need man. Don't overthink it.

vr6fan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2010
Waukesha, WI
Why don't you think matrix is effective? many mfkers use it with great success...

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
i use ceramics and polishing pads

wiggywhitetrash

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2012
Hinckley, UK
Why don't you think matrix is effective? many mfkers use it with great success...
Just a hunch, I could be totally wrong. I tried it as it claims to remove nitrates, but I've seen no difference since using it. So, I'm thinking...

Top Polishing pad & course foam
Middle Ceramic rings
Bottom Matrix

Thoughts? Also, can anyone comment as to whether I should see an improvement in flow by shortening the distance between the canister and the intake? Thanks.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
The shorter the hoses and the less media the more flow.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store