Anyone successfully kept Jardini with other community fish?

888fish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2008
CA
Read all the stories of killer Jardinis as they get around 8"-12". But very few success stories within a community of other fish. If anyone has had personal success with these fish within the 8"-12" size, please state:
-size of jardini
-size of tank
-sizes and list of community fish
- what size jardini was introduced

Thx.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
-size of jardini from 2.5 inches to around 20 inches now
-one of my 220's
-same size as jardini
-multiple times at nearly all sizes from 3 inches- 7 inches, then when she calmed down at 12-13inches and also around 18 inches.

-Used gold fish from 2 inches to around 9 inches.
-Killed or was going to kill everything that I had inside the tank so I removed the larger gold fish that survived and gave up.

hope that helped but I'm sure if you get a fish that can slightly fend for it self or is faster than the jardini it'll work like a flag tail. I've just never wanted to risk my jardini getting injured. My jag would easily kill my 20 inch jardini in one bite so its a touchy to put them together. I've never seen a fair fish fight, animal kingdom is pretty weird when it comes to fish fighting I guess. Always a one sided land slide of a win imo unless you have two fh's lol

ullysses

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2007
Sydney Australia
Grew mine up from 1.5" with peacock bass.
Progressed from a 50 gal then to a 125 with similar sized American cichlids at about 8".
Now in a 300 gal with about 30 other fish, all smaller than it. Most of the same fish it grew up with.
It did eat a couple of smaller peacock bass that I put in that fit in it's mouth, but other than that it's all good.
My best advice is grow it up with multiple tank mates from as early as possible.

litigator666

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
clayfield, qld australia
got two jardinis (17inches) on my community with motoro rays (2ftx2 and 1x12inch male), ID shark (31inches), blackbelt (11inches), reddevil (8inches), synpillum (8inches) and some small catfish (syno angelicus, spotted raphaels, striped raphaels). Introduced the jardinis at adult size on the community. they started to nip other fish, but I hit them with a stick when I see them and they seem to behave. One of my jardini (the poor man's arowana) was originally a killer and have a tank for himself prior to acquiring it - but he had changed his ways and now and behaving well.

I'm trialing a small colony of jardinis (may add two or more if budget permits) and see what will happen - somebody told me it's gonna be a riot. Also considering buying more BIG Americans for my midlevel swimmers. tank is a normal 2.6m x 1m x .75m (LWH) filtered by 2x2180 1x 3451 and 2x2080.

IMG_3558.JPG

IMG_3564.JPG

image.jpg

888fish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2008
CA
Thx for the responses. My jardini is about 7", got it around 4" two months ago. Living in a 170g (too small) with:
-2.5" festae (F)
-3" EBJD
-2.5" Polleni cichlid
-5" L25 scarlet pleco
-4" Blue botia loach
-5" Red Head Tapajos x 3
-3"-10" Clown loaches x 18
-7"-10" Red tail Fei Feng x 2
-3-4" Archerfish x2

Yeah...I'm overstocked. Jardini is behaving, even eating hikari cichlid pellets. Just don't wanna come home to a massacre!

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
I've always had tankmates with my jardini's but there has been killings along the way , IMO catfish work well as long as there not snack sized and tuff cichlids that can take a bite or two without running for there life's , I have also had a birchir with two of my jars no problems
What I can't imagine is having two jardini in one tank man you must have either struck lucky there or be the fish whisperer ;):D

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

litigator666

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
clayfield, qld australia
Sorry, but I found that extremely amusing lol.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I also have an isolation tank - no filter, dirty water, cold and lonely place. The poor man's arowana spent a few days there after he bully the id shark. They get along well now with occassional chasing and nipping but not as serious as when i first had that jardini.

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
:D well done for managing to keep a pair successfully , I can't ever see any of the jars I've kept living with another

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store