Tigrinus Help

rlane

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Morristown, NJ
Hi all, I just purchased a 5" tigrinus (not including his streamers). He seems to be in fine healthy and is extremely healthy. I have noticed in past tigrinus threads that they would hide under rocks/wood and would often swim in place. Mine will not stop swimming, he zips around the tank non stop. I have a large amount of current in the tank and he seems to love getting right in the middle of it and spends a good amount of time there. He is in a 125 gallon tank all by himself. It has a clean glass bottom with a few small pieces of driftwood in the tank along with some pieces of PVC pipe for him to hide in. I have live black worms in the tank as well and although I haven't seen him eat any yet, they do seem to be disappearing. My main question is, is it normal for him to basically be non stop swimming? Also, what is the best way to get him onto pellets? I have read that food would basically have to be dropped right onto its head for them to find and eat it. This would be next to impossible with my guy as he is like the energizer bunny. As I stated, I have live black worms in with him now and I have an unlimited supply of earth worms so I am going to try chopped worms in the next day or so. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
125 is way to big for it right now. They are very active at that size therefore they need lots of food. Feed at least a couple times a day. Once it is eating well, start mixing in frozen food to start getting off live. They are to fragile at this size I wouldn't really start starving it to take pellets til it's at least 12". But that's just me. Keep up the water current they come from fast moving streams and rivers so they love it

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
125 is way to big for it right now. They are very active at that size therefore they need lots of food. Feed at least a couple times a day. Once it is eating well, start mixing in frozen food to start getting off live. They are to fragile at this size I wouldn't really start starving it to take pellets til it's at least 12". But that's just me. Keep up the water current they come from fast moving streams and rivers so they love it
Nailed it. I've always had better luck raising them in breeder boxes or smaller fish tanks until they got to the 6-8" mark.

jechrz

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2013
Canada
Recently just got a 4 incher as well although the shop where i got it from already got the lil guy into pellets and frozen food. I had to add a small divider on my tank though as i had trouble feeding the first few days where the other larger tankmates would take all the food first before the tig got to it. Now, he happily takes pellets, live red wrigglers and mysis shrimp. very active during lights off but yeah with small tigs i wont suggest statvation. just get it to eat what it wants till its around 12 inches and get it onto pellets from there or maybe even try mixing crushed pellet with its fav food while growing it out (worked with a few stubborn fish of mine).

Sent from my SGH-M919V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
I wouldn't feed prawn mussel or cockle until he gets to 12"

Hikari sinking carnivore is the best pellet to get them eating at first

Some swim on the spot in the water flow it's not stress as mine has done that for the past 6-7 years only coming down from the side glass at night or to feed

They are not that hard to take care of as long as you stick to the no sea foods until they get to 12" as they seam to not be able to digest it properly and they start to look bloated then start spinning once this happens nothing can save them

Keep it looking slim a slim tig is a happy tig
It may look great and you are growing it fast when it has such a fat belly that it looks like a rocking horse but you are just killing them with food
This is true because people are saying they have problems finding food in a 125 so think how little and often they would get food in the wild

Good luck with yours they don't do much but they are the best looking cat on the planet by a long way

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
They are not that hard to take care of as long as you stick to the no sea foods until they get to 12" as they seam to not be able to digest it properly and they start to look bloated then start spinning once this happens nothing can save them
That sounds like a very useful knowledge. Thanks, T1KARMANN.

Just so I get it better: how wide spread is this demise scenario? Is it your personal observation or observations with more than one tig or is it observed in general by other tig-keepers too?

rlane

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Morristown, NJ
T1KARMANN;6980615 Keep it looking slim a slim tig is a happy tig It may look great and you are growing it fast when it has such a fat belly that it looks like a rocking horse but you are just killing them with food This is true because people are saying they have problems finding food in a 125 so think how little and often they would get food in the wild Sent from my iPhone using [URL="http://www.getmonsterapp.com/" said:
MonsterAquariaNetwork[/URL] app
So would you recommend me trying to put a divider in the 125 to help him find some food? He is the only fish in the tank and just swims into the current all day. I do have some small Rosie reds in with him and added live black worms but the current keeps them on the opposite side of the tank from him. I realize I shouldn't feed him much but until I actually see him eat something I won't stop worrying.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
That sounds like a very useful knowledge. Thanks, T1KARMANN.

Just so I get it better: how wide spread is this demise scenario? Is it your personal observation or observations with more than one tig or is it observed in general by other tig-keepers too?
I started the same as everyone else with small 4" tigs I had 4 die when I fed them hardcore with prawn/shrimp they all got bloated and died
The next 2 that I got I didn't feed any sea foods until they got past 12" one I sold that one is 25" and over 10 years old the 2nd one I still own and that one it over 26" and over 8 years old
I have also given this information to a few other people who live close to me and they have tigs now over 16"
So yes it is from personal experience

I also make sure the tank has lots of air I also keep my temp high at 84

Don't make the tank so small that the whiskers can touch both side glasses at the same time as I found this freaks them out

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Much appreciated. Is your advice confined to prawn/shrimp only or any animal sea foods, e.g., marine fish (whole or pieces), scallops, mussels, octopus, squid, crab, etc., or all marine crustaceans or even all marine shellfish (e.i., crustaceans and mollusks)? (See the list below)

I had surely come across your useful advice about prawn/shrimp more than once before. It was the use of a far more general term "sea foods" that alerted me that this was perhaps something I haven't encountered or known.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seafood Seafood is any form of sea life regarded as food by humans. Seafood prominently includes fish and shellfish. Shellfish include various species of molluscs, crustaceans, and echinoderms. Historically, sea mammals such as whales and dolphins have been consumed as food, though that happens to a lesser extent in modern times. Edible sea plants, such as some seaweeds and microalgae, are widely eaten as seafood around the world, especially in Asia (see the category of sea vegetables). In North America, although not generally in the United Kingdom, the term "seafood" is extended to fresh water organisms eaten by humans, so all edible aquatic life may be referred to as seafood. For the sake of completeness, this article includes all edible aquatic life.

The harvesting of wild seafood is usually known as fishing or hunting, and the cultivation and farming of seafood is known as aquaculture, or fish farming in the case of fish. Seafood is often distinguished from meat, although it is still animal and is excluded in a strict vegetarian diet. Seafood is an important source of protein in many diets around the world, especially in coastal areas.

Most of the seafood harvest is consumed by humans, but a significant proportion is used as fish food to farm other fish or rear farm animal. Some seafoods (kelp) are used as food for other plants (fertilizer). In these ways, seafoods are indirectly used to produce further food for human consumption. Products, such as fish oil and spirulina tablets are also extracted from seafoods. Some seafood is feed to aquarium fish, or used to feed domestic pets, such as cats, and a small proportion is used in medicine, or is used industrially for non-food purposes (leather).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_types_of_seafood

Fish (Some of the following are referred to as whitefish in the market, but are not whitefishes in a taxonomic sense.)

Anchovy
Basa
Bass (see also Striped bass)
Black cod/Sablefish
Bluefish
Bombay duck
Butter fish
Blowfish
Bream
Brill
Catfish
Cod (see also Pacific cod and Atlantic cod)
Dogfish
Dorade
Eel
Flounder
Grouper
Haddock
Halibut
Herring
Ilish
John Dory
Kingfish
Lamprey
Lingcod
Mackerel
Mahi Mahi
Monkfish
Mullet
Orange roughy
Patagonian toothfish (also called Chilean sea bass)
Pike
Pollock
Pomfret
Pompano
Sablefish
Sanddab, particularly Pacific sanddab
Sardine
Salmon
Sea bass
Shad (see also Alewife and American shad)
Shark
skate
Snakehead
Snapper (see also Rockfish, Rock Cod and Pacific snapper)
Sole
Sturgeon
Surimi
Swordfish
Tilapia
Tilefish
Trout (see also Rainbow trout)
Tuna (see also Albacore tuna, Yellowfin tuna, Bigeye tuna and Bluefin tuna[disambiguation needed])
Turbot
Wahoo
Whitefish
Whiting

Roe

Caviar (sturgeon roe)
Ikura (salmon roe)
Kazunoko (herring roe)
Lumpfish roe
Masago (Capelin roe)
Shad roe
Tobiko (Flying-fish roe)

Shellfish: Crustaceans

Crab (see also Dungeness crab, mud crab, sand crab, king crab and Snow crab)
Crayfish
Lobster (see also American lobster, Rock lobster and Spiny lobster)
Shrimp (see also Prawns)

Shellfish: Molluscs

nail
tahong
horses
Cockle
Conch
Cuttlefish
Loco
Mussel
Octopus
Oyster
Periwinkle
Scallop (see also Bay scallop and Sea scallop)
Squid

Echinoderms (Not uncommon in some Asian cuisines.)

Sea cucumber
Uni (sea urchin "roe")

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
A lot of info but at no point did I see when fed to tigrinus

I can only state what I have found and pass on my knowledge if people want to use this advice they can
Each animal react differently to different foods just like some humans can't tolerate and fish prawns or nuts

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store