Firemouth sex?

TexOscar1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2014
Texas
I could use some help sexing my 6 firemouths, they have laid eggs twice but only 1 parent seems to protect it and it doesn't seem to get fertalized. The parent guarding is brightly colored, dark red underbelly and darker body color overall. I assume that's the male, but when it's tubes drop it looks female. The biggest fish has lip locked with it and "danced" around, does go by eggs but isn't chased off but also doesn' help in guarding. Here are some of the pics I took, quality isn't great.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
The one that stays with the eggs the most is the female the male will guard a wider perimeter.

The one in the bottom pic with the dark black out line on the fins is one of the parents and the other is behind the drift wood I am guessing? The one above the dark finned one I think female the one below I think male the one to the far right half out of the pic is male.

These are all guesses and I spend allot of time reading about fire mouths and I have had 3 generations myself. These fish are so hard to tell unless you know the individual fish. My female actually has long extensions on her fins which usually a male trait but I saw her lay eggs.

TexOscar1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2014
Texas
The one behind the drift wood is very dark and bright red but did lay the eggs. I haven't really seen a male "guarding" an outside perimeter. There are only two with dark outlines so maybe that is the other parent. I will have to watch them more, I will be seperating them soon as this batch works or not. Have a 40 breeder setup for them.

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
I thought that was the female behind the drift wood (only one in breeding dress). Look for something that distinguishes her from the others (not color as that is always changing) placement of eye spot, how far forward the fins come or shape of fins. Your male definitely is one of the ones with the dark black on the fins.

Congrats on your pairing FM's are such fun fish.

TexOscar1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2014
Texas
So females generally get dark spot on their dorsal fin? The female was the only one showing any true color other than 1 of the males with black outlines on it's fins. Sadly they eggs got eaten again before I got home to scout them out, all color has left and they all look the same now. I'm sure they will spawn again since this is the second batch in a week, or another pair will lay eggs.

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
I haven't witnessed that on mine. I do notice the eye spot darken into a stripe and extends up to the dorsal is this what you are referring to? I never noticed if that was on one or both of my FM.

I know this is the way to sex most SA/CA cichlids but I don't think it is true on FM.

TexOscar1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2014
Texas
Not really sure, i have noticed that several fish are much fatter in the belly than others. I'm guessing that is the female, while the males are thinner?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store