My wish list for Stocking a 300 gallon. Is it Realistic?

catfishacr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Iowa City, IA
Hi everyone, I’m buying a house in the next 3-4 months and setting up a 300 gallon tank! 96” X 30” X 25” H. I have never had anything bigger than a 90 gal and not sure how many fish I can stock the 300 with. I wanted to ask you guys if my stock list is realistic? Also I listed the max size that I’m expecting for each species.

-Fish I currently have that will be going into the 300:
-1 Silver Arowana (Osteoglossum Bicirrhosum) Expected max size: 28”-36” (If my arowana achieves 30”+ I will move it to a bigger thank :))
-1 Lima Shovelnose Cat ( Sorubim Lima) Expected max size: 16”-24”
-1 Four -lined Pim ( Pimelodus Blochii) Expected max size: 10”
Fish I want to add but don’t currently have:
-1 Clown Knife Fish ( Chitala Ornata) Expected max size: 18”-24”
-1 Sun Catfish ( Horabagrus Brachysoma) Expected max size: 12”-14”
-1 Red fin Prochildilious ( Semaprochilodus Taeniurus) Expected max size:12”
Fish I want to add if I still have enough room:
- School of Clown Loaches Expected max size:12”
-1 smaller species of Datnoid

Is this a realistic stock list for a 300 gallon? Thanks everyone.

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Cool stock but with any big cats you have to watch out for them eating smaller fish in the tank and they will grow much quicker than most other fish.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

catfishacr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Iowa City, IA
Thanks. yeah I've been keeping cats for awhile. Ive lost enough fish to know they'll eat any thing they can fit in there mouths :)

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Fish I want to add but don’t currently have:
-1 Clown Knife Fish ( Chitala Ornata) Expected max size: 18”-24”
Smaller than Chitala Chitala, but more than 24" should be doable in an aquarium under proper conditions since Ornata reaches 39" in the wild. Having owned one, so I'm just estimating.

catfishacr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Iowa City, IA
Smaller than Chitala Chitala, but more than 24" should be doable in an aquarium under proper conditions since Ornata reaches 39" in the wild. Having owned one, so I'm just estimating.
I know they get 36"+ in the wild but I really don't think they achieve much over 24" in the aquarium setting. At least all the research ive done states anything over 24" is not common. Thanks for the heads up though.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I know they get 36"+ in the wild but I really don't think they achieve much over 24" in the aquarium setting. At least all the research ive done states anything over 24" is not common.
If it's common for an animal---any animal---to reach only 50-67% of it's natural size (18-24" compared to 36") than that says more about the conditions under which the animal is raised than anything else. I assume that you will raise the fish better than most, so I'd include him on the list (like the arowana) of fish you will likely need to re-house.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Below is a link from this website that shows common max size at 18-24" for clown knifefish. I get your logic though if there's something im missing and they do commonly get close or over 30" than that change my mind on getting one. I don't want to have another fish I might need to relocate. Thanks for your imput

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?301832-Clown-Knife-Information
Right. "Usually in aquariums, they will obtain a decent size of 18" to 24" is what it says, but that's often because people don't raise them with enough space (no stress, no injuries), enough quality food (early and appropriate growth, strong immune system), enough clean water (reduced stress, reduced hormone levels, improved immune system), and / or lose them early to death due to mismanagement (or often just not knowing exactly how to raise it.) There are lots of reasons why it won't reach the proper size.

Given that you are already doing a great job of asking, we know you're ahead of the curve. So, it's prudent to consider that your fish might benefit and grow quite well from other knowledge you have or will acquire. I've not raised these so I'm not going to tell you it will commonly get close or over 30". I'm just saying, imo, if a fish gets to 39" in the wild, then it has the genetic potential to get to that size and even larger if it's well cared for under captive conditions. Your's might not and that may be due to some things I've mentioned or even other things.

On the positive side, it can't get to 30+" instantly and you'll have a lot of notice before it happens, if it does.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store