Lake Erie pH

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Does anyone know why the pH of erie is so high (8.3-9.0 in different areas) ? I'd like to bring back a bucket or two of sand for my tanks but one of the tanks I'd be getting it for would be for breeding Corydoras which prefer 7.6 and below. I've heard from some people it's pesticides from farms that came in from creeks and I've heard from others that it's the sand and rock so does anyone know if I put sand from there in one of my tanks if it will raise pH? I know I could bring some home and test overnight in a glass of water but I'm not hauling two 5-gal buckets back if the sand won't work for my situation.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Lake Michigan hovers 8.4 - 8.7, and also has the same bicarbonate, limestone base rock. And sand is usually eroded base rock.
Except for temp, the US great lakes are chemically very similar to the African rift lakes.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
uploadfromtaptalk1410362358272.jpg
Leave the sand there buddy...i was appauled people let their small children/babies swim with this sign posted. Priceless. Whats so great about Erie sand? Besides the fact its probably toxic lol...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
View attachment 1036263
Leave the sand there buddy...i was appauled people let their small children/babies swim with this sign posted. Priceless. Whats so great about Erie sand? Besides the fact its probably toxic lol...

That may be in the western basin in ohio where there was a large bacteria and algae bloom due to fertilizers from farms getting into the water. I swim in Erie every time I go up and the water is often crystal clear with the sand looking pretty clean as well. I'm not getting any for now but when I setup my large erie biotope next year I may test some ahead of time to see how it is. Just looks really nice IMO.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
I just wanted a reason to post that pic from sunday lol... id imagine u can boil the sand as you would driftwood just to be safe.
Ur lucky ur in a different area, i wasent sure of ur location.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I just wanted a reason to post that pic from sunday lol... id imagine u can boil the sand as you would driftwood just to be safe.
Ur lucky ur in a different area, i wasent sure of ur location.
Lol, when I go up to erie I'm in Erie pa, at the base of presque isle.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store