Looking for a fish that will survive NJ winter

evojoey

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2008
Turnersville, South Jersey
As the title states, I'm looking for a large growing fish like a mahseer or something similar that can survive a cold NJ winter. I'd like to put something different in my koi pond. It gets cold enough to freeze over if I didn't have one of the pumps and the air pump running all winter. Are there any fish that can/will survive? Also cant be too aggressive. Don't want it to beat up my koi. The pond is 22'x18' and 40" deep. Any ideas are appreciated.

jennybean

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2014
United States
I've Chinese high fin sharks can survive north east winters. I also understand they get quite large but I've never had one so I'm just guessing.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
There doesn't seem to be much else other than a carp or some natives.The thing is you won't be able to see them very well in the pond due to their body shape and coloring.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
kind of small, and shallow i can not think of nothing, my only experience with out door pond, was our trout pond, maybe 500,000 gallons. stop putting trout in when the river otters found it, put bass and blue gill after that, blue gill breed like rabbits, pond froze over every year but never seemed to hurt them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store