New tank - I wanna salt it! (15G)

Racersk

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Covington
Not new to fishkeeping, but fairly new to marine. I do have a 50G column *36 wide, brackish tank (1 year running at least @ 1.012 salinity) with an archer(3-3.5"), a spotted puffer (3")and a dragon goby(16"+). I want to start this newly acquired tank one of 2 ways...

1- create a similar environment for the puffer only-pushing towards salt (1.021-4 salinity) This would be the easiest as the filtration wouldn't have to be out of this world - I am contemplating a 10G sump on this tank, just not made yet.

OR

2- straight salt setup with fish and/or shellfish or even brine shrimp and??? This is the wild card. Fish or inverts, no coral, not enough light.

specs-
15G (20x10x18T)
Has salt in it now-but just set it up, fltered by a smaller HOB from Petco(they stated 30G, yeah right)- will be a minimum AC500/canister/or sump when inhabited. It was home to a fancy goldy, dojo loach and a smaller pleco- all rehomed-'cept the plec-he got ate!

Ideas for what I got?

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Not new to fishkeeping, but fairly new to marine. I do have a 50G column *36 wide, brackish tank (1 year running at least @ 1.012 salinity) with an archer(3-3.5"), a spotted puffer (3")and a dragon goby(16"+). I want to start this newly acquired tank one of 2 ways...

1- create a similar environment for the puffer only-pushing towards salt (1.021-4 salinity) This would be the easiest as the filtration wouldn't have to be out of this world - I am contemplating a 10G sump on this tank, just not made yet.

OR

2- straight salt setup with fish and/or shellfish or even brine shrimp and??? This is the wild card. Fish or inverts, no coral, not enough light.

specs-
15G (20x10x18T)
Has salt in it now-but just set it up, fltered by a smaller HOB from Petco(they stated 30G, yeah right)- will be a minimum AC500/canister/or sump when inhabited. It was home to a fancy goldy, dojo loach and a smaller pleco- all rehomed-'cept the plec-he got ate!

Ideas for what I got?
I would do straight up salt, tons of small fish are out there you can choose to house comfortably. Sump is always the best way to go with any size tank in my opinion...unless its a pool

Racersk

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Covington
Agreed. Full marine is my goal. I picked up about 10lbs of live rock from a couple good lfs' s and have another 5lbs to go. No sump...yet...but I did pick up a pump for this use.

Check out he salt media lounge posting of the 2week old 15g. Thats ME!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store