DIY HID car lighting as a tank light?

Racersk

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Covington
Not DIY tank...Not DIY stand, not DIY filter, so I posted in the root of DIY!

Here's the idea I have been contemplating. I'm a car guy, so Brighter more efficient lights are here and I jumped in earl to the game! HID car lighting is now gaining ground, very bright, and efficient, most draw 35W when on. I have a few kits, a couple ballasts and a couple bulbs. Different mfr different design, most orphans by either one bad ballast or a bad bulb.

So my DIY, create lighting from an orphaned HID bulb.

Housings are easy, Ebay $10-15 and I have x2., Glass is about $30. I can get brackets and maybe solder on a tad or x2, and I got a free standing lighting solution. (7" round H4 housing)

Now here is where I get handy. I can get +12 from a used computer power supply, they can be jumpered to be on all the time, so a simple timer to control when. I have a few old CPU's and more power supplies to experiment with.

So bulb = I have several test bulbs for free with several ballasts.
+12VDC power supply (reliable CPU stuff
+simple timer or connect timer to 12vdc jumper.

So really the question is, why is there no chatter on the subject in the DIY forums. is there something I am missing?

The stoners all know about it setting up hidden hydroponics systems. But nothing on MFK...

What do ya think?

noside

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2014
NJ
I think you've outlined all the good on possibly making a xenon light setup.

The bad IMO, depending on your housing choice if you decide to use a projector a good quality housing is going to cost you $100+ per pair. Even then your lighting is going to be extremely focused. the spread on a projector occurs some odd 10 feet out so unless your lights are a few feet from the base of your tank I don't think that is going to work very well.

I've seen them used in Reef tanks but that is only because some corals require really strong spot lighting.

If you decide to use a reflector type housing then the light is very scattered and may leave the centers under the light not even lit. and you'll need to make a custom reflector with proper angels to even use it. If you tried using a car headlamp reflector I think you will have a terrible outcome again at the distance the lights are from the tank.

I know xenon bulbs are no where near water resistant if water hits them while running they will explode. You'd have to use a completely 100% water tight enclosure.

Honestly I know its pricey but the new Ecoxotic E series is a seriously good bang for your buck and will work without trial and error. I have Current USA led+, Marineland single and double bright LEDs that I'm comparing to.

ullysses

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2007
Sydney Australia
Yea good idea on paper, but the sensitivity of the bulbs, spread and cost would be a major issue.
They also give out a heap of heat, to a point where my car headlights have a burn marks either side where the focus point of the light is. Serves me right for running them without projector style headlamps I suppose...

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
The minute you bring a computer PS into the equation, you are losing efficiency. You are better off to buy a driver that will power it exactly as needed.

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
Also, most computer power supplies need power drawn on the 3.3 and 5v lines to work properly. I'd use a DC converter.

Racersk

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Covington
All fantastic points to consider!

Here are my counter points... :idea:

-I have 4 or 5 HID bulbs for H4 and H1 housings-all orphaned systems from various cars and attempts at HID lighting 3 different cars. All of which were less expensive kits and failed for one reason or another. (x1 ballast, or x1 bulb) I also have 4 different HID ballasts that I have tested-as long as they stay indoors, they will work fine, it's outdoor moisture and rain that kills these.

So I have a supply of bulbs and ballasts sitting in a drawer-paid for and collecting dust.

Housings-correct, headlights have lenses to focus them and keep light out of oncoming traffic.
I have x2 7" round H-4 housings, metal backed, glass prismed front that I just pulled for strait sealed beam headlights. One has a crack in the lens.

I am pulling the glass and replacing it with clear flat glass that I can mount into some sort of wood housing-this will house the metal reflector and probably my whole transformer/ballast/light rig. So this takes care of the car part of the lens and will give me even more output. I will build it to sit atop either the 35 hex or my 50G column brackish tank.

Heat. If it is too bad, I can pull the resistor off the 5vdc leg and install a 6" 5W silent fan on top of the whole thing.

Computer PSU- I have 8 or so old ATX PSU's pulled from working computers-these were saved from the recycler. I have a 160W that is tiny that I put into use for this project. I have bigger, but why? This is small and can only draw 5amps max but there is always an over load that can handle this burst amperage. According to internet electricians with a 35watt HID (x1 bulb) when warmed up only draw 1.5-2 amps each and 5 to 6 amps at initial turn on. Way better than the T5 HO's!

Militant Potato- only 5vdc needs a load from what I have read-this is what keeps the PSU on. I have a 10W ceramic resistor on there for this.

This being said...

I have a functional HID light, It has an on/off switch and works great! I have to break out the lens still and mount it onto something, but this is doable and I think the light output should be incredible compared the the CFL bulb it wil replace and it will be @5000K not 3400 like the CFL's (Day light!)

Thank you all for your input, it is very helpfull!

Racersk

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Covington
Proof is in the video! :headbang1

Needs a diffuser, along with a lens, but works great.

[video=youtube_share;eLfp9J-W32M]http://youtu.be/eLfp9J-W32M?list=UUQMIMQNXKpzyrwSWPVsdXEA[/video]

Been on for over an hour now and the only item that I believe to be too warm is the lighted on/off switch I used! It's above my silver dollar tank and they are grouped all in it's glow. I guess thats all the approval I need, lol.

noside

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2014
NJ
that's really focused with the reflector you have on there. I think lenses would be a waste if you aren't trying to gain any more depth. I think what you should do is look for a crinkled reflector instead of a smooth polished one to throw light in every which way that you can. think of it in car terms like when you use HID in a reflector style headlamp on a car. The reflectors aren't smooth they are all rectangles and different angles and that's what makes opposing drivers go blind because the light is going everywhere instead of focused on the road when using projectors. If you want to make a projector do the same you just have to remove the cut off shield inside of the housing that's in between the bulb and the lens. Its shaped like a semi circle on most OEM applications. You could try for a mock setup to test theory. Take Al foil crinkle it up then smooth it onto the reflector you already have and see if you get any better dispersion.

Cleaner looking setup than I would have imagined it to have looked though OP! I still would recommend a good LED setup but it looks like you want to do something without spending anything which is looking conceivable at this point.

Racersk

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Covington
The Reflector is the H4 7" round housing. So its made to be focused straight out. I might try the metal cap that was fitted in front of the bulb to try to spread out the light a little. But I also found that if I hooked up that solenoid retract (ie:high beam) by also hooking that to the +12vdc the beam pattern is fuller.

Still in the planning stages...

I have LED's on the 50G column brackish tank... Works well but was $65 plus tax. This setup for me to build it this week end was a total of $3 for a package of x2 10W resistors to place a load on the PSU. I still need to get a diffuser in place to see how that affects things, so maybe another $5-10 I need to put into it.

This doesn't include the used bulb, ($5-10 per Ebay) ballast (9-20) and PSU(recycled used 160W=free.99 to $10). The Lens was $16 before broken by road debrise, and the aluminum utility light housing was like $5.99. So my DIY lighting with auto HID is roughly 1/2 the cost of an LED light if all purchased outright.

Perfect.

And noside, you got the point of this whole project. Bright light with minimal spent on it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store