Probiotic Fish Food

RaisinBread

Feeder Fish
Aug 29, 2014
Harbour Front
Hi All,

Have anyone of you tried Probiotic Fish Food before?

I am interested to learn more as I heard

it improves

Water Quality and Growth.

Cheers

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Post a link to this new product, and the ingredients etc. Then I'll be happy to offer my 2 cents.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
It looks pretty much like the rest of the "probiotic" foods out there. I'm guessing you didn't read any of the info in the link that I posted, you really should.

Here's my personal review based only on my personal opinion from the info supplied by this company based in Singapore.

Sprulina itself may have a probiotic effect on fish (I believe that quality spirulina does) but it is not a probiotic as it is not a live organism when sold as dry fish food. So the only probiotic in this food is whatever the manufacturer is adding - which we don't know, as they aren't saying. That bothers me. I don't know what, or how much is even being added, so clearly I don't know what I would be feeding to my fish.

Secondly, according to the pic on their facebook page, this food contains wheat, soybean, and rice, and personally I avoid any/all foods that contain soybean meal, ditto to rice and/or corn. Wheat in smaller amounts used as a binding agent I have no issue with, the other two are simply used to lower production costs by the manufacturer, and soybeans are known to contain anti-nutritional matter that can affect the overall health of fish, especially those that are on the carnivorous side of the equation. Most fish only require a small amount of spirulina in their daily feed, 1.5-2.5%, certainly not in the quantity that this manufacturer is adding as the main ingredient. More does not always equate to better.

This is a direct link to the company. http://www.algae-ee.com/

The study they show for their AEE Gold certainly is a farce, as it doesn't show the nutrient profile of the test commercial feed. It's easy to beat out a low quality feed when none of that data is being released.

Most quality fish foods on the market today contain spirulina, in a more correct balance, taking in the entire overall nutrient profile of the feed, and the fish consuming it. Probiotics are easy (and dirt cheap) for any hobbyist to add to their system.

If as you said in your initial post, you are interested to learn more about probiotics and the health of your fish, you should click on the link I posted previously, and read-read-read.

RaisinBread

Feeder Fish
Aug 29, 2014
Harbour Front
Good opinion RD. I have read the link you post previously and found it to be very informative. Would you recommend any probiotic fish food that states the types of "probiotics" being used.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
While some of the info in the following link may be repetitive, after reading that you should have a crystal clear understanding as to why I do not personally recommend any brand of fish food that claims to have added probiotic bacteria.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...cs-in-fish-feed-and-Oscars-are-true-omnivores

I could be swayed to change that opinion if/when a high quality fish food formula (sans soybean meal, corn gluten meal, etc) comes along and releases a formula that contains probiotics. But really for myself when it comes to feed, I focus on the main ingredients, not marketing gimmicks that attempt to hide what's really in the food. Adding probiotics to ones system is easy, there's really no need or big advantage to feed it directly to your fish.

BTW - when I previously stated:
Most fish only require a small amount of spirulina in their daily feed, 1.5-2.5%, certainly not in the quantity that this manufacturer is adding as the main ingredient. More does not always equate to better.
That comment was assuming that this food was being used as the main source of food for ones fish, as in their main staple diet. I have no issue with anyone supplementing a food that is high in spirulina as part of a balanced varied diet. I just would not advise feeding a diet that is excessively high in spirulina, exclusively.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store