I give up! Armatus went NILLY.

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
I officially have thrown in the white towel and given up on Armatus. I thought I knew the secret on how to keep them long term and that secret just having the RIGHT TANKMATES. Well the rays must have spooked him and he has smashed his mouth good. The pregnant females especially my Henlei floats above the bubbler by the overflow box all the time and she must have landed on top of him when she came down. He has stopped eating for about 5 days now and shows no interest in eating and still has the odd panic attack for no reason. He crashed into the vortec powerhead and knocked it off the glass and has hit the lid a couple times. The stupor has set in and I don't see no turn around. Glad these guys aren't expensive as this is my 5th one. I will be surprised to see how many get past the 20" mark.
Exact same size my last one was when the stupor set in!! FYI BIG RAYS AREN'T GOOD TANKMATES!!!

IMG_3260 (640x255).jpg

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
How big is your tank?

What do you feed?

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
450 gallon and he eats smelts stuffed with massivore.
Maybe there's something about smelt? Thought that most of us that experienced the stuppor with these things all fed smelt. Seems everyone is having better luck with them this time around and seems most are feeding tilapia. Might just be a coincidence, but could be something more??

Maybe Keeping and Trev will chime in...... :popcorn:

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
The 2 i have now have made it longer now then my 2 from last season. Im convinced my problem was the smelt. I kept loosing other fish before also, i havent lost any fish in a long time now.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
The 2 i have now have made it longer now then my 2 from last season. Im convinced my problem was the smelt. I kept loosing other fish before also, i havent lost any fish in a long time now.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Wasn't the biggest one you had (Fang) fed live the longest?

Mymonsterfish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
St Paul, MN
My 2 aren't too skittish and feed only live foods. No other tank mates except for there food.

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
What's the size of everyones as from the pics I seen they are quite smaller then mine. Mine was fine until he hit the 20" mark. He has been good for a few days so maybe it will pull through and start eating soon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store