Anyone running a sump on a larger system?

jack.kemp

Feeder Fish
Aug 29, 2014
crawley
Hi folks,

I am turning my marine system in to a large tropical system and was wondering if anyone on here is running a sump rather than filters? I need some advice on media and perhaps some plants suitable for a refugium?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I run 3 sumps on 3 freshwater systems, cool water, mid tropical and tropical, each line of tanks is between 300 and 400 gallons.
I wouldn't go any other way.
Also do freshwater refugiums with aquatic and marginal plants, that contain freshwater shrimp.
And use fractionation on the tanks, and a freshwater pond.
Anything used for salt water, is workable for fresh.
click on pic.

sabmakj21

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2014
Hawaii
I have never found a better, more economical filtration system then the sumps I've made myself out of old tanks. HOB's and cannisters never seem to be enough and always require short interval maintenance, more than I'd like to do. Parts for a DIY sump or wet dry filter are always easily available at your local hardware store or online.

But I do supplement with cannisters and HOB's and sponge filters. That way maintenance can be done with limited disturbance to the tank.

And the plant I hear to use is Pothos. I've still yet to try integration into my aquariums, but I will someday.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jack.kemp

Feeder Fish
Aug 29, 2014
crawley
I'll have to have a look at pothos.... a planted refugium section would definitely be my preferred way to go. Natural and low maintenance.

For the first section I have been looking for the best media to use.... al***rog or the trusty plastic pot scrubbers are my two options i think? Anyone using either of these with success?

I only have 3 sections in my sump so one large refugium section, one mechanical filtration section and the return section would be my only option really.... its just deciding how to best set these up!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store