penn plax 1200 canister

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
These things any good?
Anyone got one and using it?

I was going to setup my sump but there is no room for it in the living room. so I need to buy a canister filter.

This filter will be going on a 157 gallon tank 72 L x 18 W x 27 H....

My only other option is to drill holes in the floor and put the sump in the basement that is unheated and more like a dungeon.
I feel this would negate putting the heaters in the sump or keeping any type of plant or live shrimp in it.
it's about 45 degrees F in the basement in the winter.
My other option would be to drill holes and put it out on the front porch. NO heat what so ever.

Wife doesn't want me to drill holes anywhere through her new carpet. Nor does she want the sump out where it can be seen. so my only option is a canister filter.
I really don't want it in the basement anyways.

Also the canister filter will have 3 or 4 sponge filters running in the tank.

Stock will be 1 florida spotted gar 9 inches now. and 2 leaf whiptail cats. maxed already @ 4 1/2 inches
everything else is feeders.

I will be adding either a sterlet, another Florida Gar, or large clown knife, later this winter.
only one of the fish mentioned above.
I'm leaning more towards a sterlet or another gar over the knife.

So these things any good? I've read mixed reviews on them.
Do they last? will it preform?
Will it handle 2 larger fish and two small ones?

I will be moving it over to another 55 gallon tank after I find a more suitable canister filter.

Probably when I buy a larger tank this winter or spring.

Sorry for the long post.
Rich

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
The Cascades are a good budget filter but they do have a ton of bypass. To get them to work effectively you need to basically cut a strip of blue bonded filter pad and wrap the edge of the bottom basket and kind of tuck it in with a butter knife. Put your other baskets in with out the wrap and then make sure to wrap the top basket. This works good to make the filter work as it should. Even then these are not the greatest. I had ran two of the 1500's on a 120g and thought it was just just about right so I think a single 1200 would not be enough on a 157.

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
Good to know how to fix the bypass. Thanks DMD123
I had read reviews that it had it and was easy to fix, no one mentioned how. Again thanks.

Had some bitcoin to spend so I ordered one, since you explained very well how to "fix" it. Already have the bonded blue fiber.
Besides Penn Plax is a American Co. and sells/makes parts for their stuff. Both big factors to me.

I'll see how it does, until I either get a better canister, or figure out if I am going to put the sump in the basement.
If I do, I'm gonna need a monster pump and a lot of pipe since I would want to put it by the furnace for the warmth. about 100 ft round trip compared to 20 foot up and down.

Rich

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store