DIY Stand Paint - Drylok?

BearFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2014
Ohio

Getting ready to paint my stand (I want to paint it white and cover it later with hard wood) and went to home depot to buy some water proofing for the stand and all I really found was Drylok. It looks like people like to use it for Styrofoam backgrounds, but after looking around I didn't see it on many stands. Some people tried it in tanks, which I bet turned out horrible. Drylok says it does not work on wood. Any comments, suggestions?

Here is my stand.

View attachment 1034272View attachment 1034273

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
I use valspar says on the can to let cure for 7 days before wetting.
So far so good, built a hood out of wood that I poly'd 1st then hit with three coats of valspar.
re purposed a table top to a tank cover, and three stands. they are always getting wet, paint has yet to come off.
Nice thing is it's like 8 or 9 bux a quart.

trick is to follow the directions and let it cure for those 7 days.
For me that was easy.

Also the brush cleans up with water if you get to it before it cures.

I did use rustoleum on the steel 55 stand but that was because I has it and didn't have the valspar.
Rich

BearFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2014
Ohio
Thanks Rich, so did you put a waterproof sealant of polyurethane than coat it with exterior or interior valspar? Did you ever use primer?

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I used a primer and then used a high end bathroom paint with mildew inhibitors. I wanted to do polyurethane over everything but my father who's been a residential /commercial painter and fish keeper his whole life advised me not to. He told me water would eventually get under it into the wood and if I had standing water on my stand I had bigger problems. I've used high end professional grade wall paint before on stands before with little issues

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
Only used the poly on the canopy/hood not on the stands.
And the reason was the canopy is a tight fit so I was worried about mold ( so far none) the tank cover I only poly'd the side down/faces on the tank.

The stands get enough air that even with water changed and such they work like the can said, and still look good.
No, I did not prime anything.
I did lay the coats thick with minimal time to dry between coats. then just let them sit for a week out on the front porch per can instructions.
Only one that got three coats was the canopy with the poly.
If I had ruffed up the poly with 000 steel wool it would have covered on the 1st coat.

latest stand cut down and repainted.
still have to hang doors back on it. Didn't bother to paint the inside since the stand is only as wide as the tank.
before....

and in the house after. like I said still have to hang doors on it.

HTH
Rich

PS:
Wife says I can't use my sump in the pix behind it so I have a post over in the filter section on that and it won't be there once the tank is in place . Also need to add the top trim once the tank is on it and corner trim.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I used a primer and then used a high end bathroom paint with mildew inhibitors. I wanted to do polyurethane over everything but my father who's been a residential /commercial painter and fish keeper his whole life advised me not to. He told me water would eventually get under it into the wood and if I had standing water on my stand I had bigger problems. I've used high end professional grade wall paint before on stands before with little issues

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I am going to have to humbly disagree. My home-made stands are typically painted with cheap black Walmart $1 spray paint with 2 coats of polyeurethane. Never had a issue, even with the occasional over filling and fish splashes during feeding. Plus, many commercial stands are crappy particle board which is horrible should it get exposed to too much water/moisture......yet even they last for a while. Back in the day, I used to make top water fishing lures out of wood and polyeurethane was the final finish. I would never use polyeurethane as the sealer for a plywood tank, but for a stand I can't see having any issues even if you were the messiest fish keepers. I believe as long as you make sure you get every nook and cranny while applying the poly and don't leave any area exposed you're good to go. Like I said, I had never had any issues using polyeurethane.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
BearFish, that stand looks great!

Speaking from experience, those tanks on the bottom are such a PITA for water changes

BearFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2014
Ohio
Thanks guys, this is a lot of good information. Xraycer, I actually want to have all tanks connected to the same water source, and the bottom tank is my sump. So, the pump will pump the water to the top tank, then the water will overflow to the second tank, and finally overflow from the second tank to the large sump. In general your are right though, I have design flaw in my setup and that is getting access to all the tanks. I'm hoping the coolness of the three tier system out ways the PITA part. :)

BearFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2014
Ohio
I went ahead and painted the stand with DryLok waterproofing, and have been very happy with the results. It was like painting on sand, but the paint hardened to almost a ceramic feel to it. The stand is nicely waterproofed now. I was a little concerned about putting DryLok on wood as the manufacture said it would not work on wood. But, I think it will work on any rough surface. So, don't try it on sanded wood, but a 2x4 should be OK. Also, if the wood bends you will probably have troubles with the paint cracking and crumbling off.

View attachment 1037427

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store