is this too much for too little space / will they get along?

Grizzlor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2014
Edmonton, AB
I am quite new to this hobby (and this is my 1st day ever on this forum as well...HI!). I've only ever had a 2.5 gallon tank with some dwarf frogs and a comet. I was planning on having a 120 gallon (60" x 18" x 26") with the following species: 1 green terror, 4 silver tiger datnoids, 2 or 3 ornate bichirs, 1 scarlet cactus pleco, and 1 gymnothorax polyuranodon (freshwater eel that looks super cool). I would start with the tiger datnoids as babies since they grow quite slowly. Then, once a decent size, I planned on getting the bichirs and scarlet cactus pleco at the same time, then the green terror (since he grows faster), and finally the eel. I would also have some rocks, etc. for caves for the eel. My questions are these: 1. Am I correct in thinking that these species will coexist well in the same tank? 2. Is a 120 gallon tank with the dimensions I have specified going to be large enough for them all?

I thought that aggression would be diminished a fair bit with a setup like this, but as I said I am new to this hobby and don't have the experience to tell me otherwise.

Shooting in the dark...please help.
Thanks!

axs377

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA
I think that tank will be way over crowed when those fish are grown. The days will need a bigger tank IMO, however if you have a place for them to go when they get bigger a couple may work temporarily. What kind of filtration were you planning?

suprd71

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2012
North Bay Ontario Canada
Welcome to the site and the hobby! Always stock a tank according to the adult size expectations of the fish. That said, 120g is far too small for your plans. Another important item is to educate yourself on the nitrogen cycle and how it works in an aquarium. All to many new people get a new tank, filters and toss some fish in right away. Then you have a long list of problems, and you dont get the enjoyment you are looking for.

Grizzlor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2014
Edmonton, AB
I have two Hydor pro 600 canister filters, each capable of 150 gallons of filtration. Regarding the datnoids, it was my understanding that the silver ones stay smaller...but once again I am NOT very knowledgeable in this area.

Grizzlor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2014
Edmonton, AB
regarding dealing with the nitrogen cycle, I should have mentioned that I was only planning on starting with these bigger fish, such as the silver datnoids, after the nitrogen cycle was finished at approximately 1 month's time. to get through the nitrogen cycle, I was thinking on using some giant danios to cycle the tank and when the datnoids are later added they can just eat those smaller Danios.

suprd71

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2012
North Bay Ontario Canada
GD are a good fish to use for a fish in cycle. Will take longer than 4 weeks though. Regular monitoring water parameters with a liquid test kit will tell you how its going. Silver Dats can still reach a foot long, and two in a 5ft tank is very tight when they are full grown. For a pair or more of fish, you really need a species that tops out at 6-8ins. Firemouth, Convicts, Salvini stay smaller, and are still attractive and interesting cichlids.

Grizzlor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2014
Edmonton, AB
I think I get so excited with so many fish that I see when they are small, it's sometimes hard to not want everything at once!

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Hello and welcome to mfk. Best advice I can give is work your way up and do lots of hw before buying any fish. Depending on the size fish you get 120g would be good for a long time since all fish are known to grow slow and dats and polys arent active fish so they dont need the space some more active fish need. That being said some gts are bullys and might pick on dats.

But as said you sound like its a ways away id focus on getting the tank and equipment and get it started cycling. 2.5g to 120g is a big difference and you dont want to end up with problematic stocking by just throwing a bunch of fish in a tank(comets get enormous btw)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store