Where do you point your return pipe ?

qguy

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
Vancouver. Canada
Where do you point your return pipes, right now mine is located at the back and pointed towards the front glass. Is there a better way of setting this up.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Much could depend of what kind of fish you have, while for most it doesn't matter.
But .....if the fish are riverine and live in nature in a directional flow, having the return at one end with flow running lengthwise pointed to the other end where the filter intake is works. Examples of rheophillic fish would be cichlids such as Theraps, Tomocichla or Chuco, ATF, or Dorado might be fish other than cichlids with the same preferences
Some of my fish are rheophillic, and appreciate a countercurrent zone, so I have flow hit against the normal length of tank, at input on one end, out the other.
This creates a small countercurrent zone at the flow entry end

you can see the way the plants bend, flow is opposite of the way the water hits the tank.

an example of directional flow may be the way this venturi valve sends flow along the length of this tank.

qguy

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
Vancouver. Canada
Thanks for the responses.

I tried this for a a couple of days and what I noticed is that the debris tends to collect at the back of the tank. I have now pointed the return downwards, it is now pushing the dirt into the water column and into the filter. :) hopefully I do not get dead spots, I am running a 1090 GPH pump in a 105 gallon tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store