Lungfish looks sick!

bangballs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2013
Singapore
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Dear friends,

My lungfish is about 10". 2-3 weeks ago I started noticing thin, whispy, membranous skin shedding which is quite generalized (whole body). It's fins used to be long and slender. Lately they have lost its sharp ends, and they appear considerably shorter now and have blunt ends. It's more lethargic, but still feeds as normal. My water quality hasn't changed for the 1 year I've had it. There's no filter but I do a full water change once in 3 days. I feed it sinking pellets and occasionally earthworms.

Any oe has any idea what's wrong? Thanks!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
Who wants to take this one?

It's ammonia poisoning. You need a filter. Period.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
+2
even though lungfish are hardy fish that get their oxygen from the air that doesnt mean they dont need a filter
They are very messy fish that need lots of filtration and water changes to keep amonia, nitrate, and nitrite levels where they should be
My 16" west african lungfish lives in a 75 (not a permanent home of cource, just waiting until he is big enough to reach the top of a 125) with a filter rated for 180 gallons and I do weekly 50% water changes and nitrate levels are barely below 10 ppm

bangballs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2013
Singapore
Hey guys.. okay updates! My lungfish is doing well now. I've installed a canister filter, with seeded media from my other tank.
The shedding has stopped since about 2 weeks ago. It's no longer lethargic and feeding is back to normal. However the fins have blunted quite a bit. They will probably take some time to grow back. Thanks for the prompt replies from earlier! :D

bangballs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2013
Singapore
Hey guys, another question. Its fins are back (they grow amazingly quickly) and colour's back to normal. However there's something I noticed which troubles me a little. It hasn't pooped in 3-4 weeks. Appetite is great, usual carnivore pellets, plant algae pellets. Stomach doesn't look bloated at all. BUT no poop for 3-4 weeks? That's a little worrying.

Any idea anyone?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store