My New Baby: Wden

LancasterK26

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2014
Auburn, WA
I just wanted to let everybody know that I just got my first Ornate Bichir (Polypterus Ornatipinnis). I have decided to name him Wōden.

I did a lot of research before buying him. His tank was up and running for two weeks before I purchased him. The water temperature is perfect. The ph is perfect. The decorations are designed for his pleasure, not for his admirers. (Lots of nice hiding places, wood, plant coverage, and low lighting.) I bought goldfish for him to snack on. I also have bloodworms.

I will upload some pictures once I get some. Right now, Wōden is still getting used to his tank. And I don't want to stress him out by taking pictures with a flash.

But, I am still very new at this. If anybody has any suggestions, I would love any and all in-put from those more knowledgeable than myself.

:feedback:

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
Hi! Welcome to MFK! What size tank is he in? And will this be his permanent tank?

I wouldnt use goldfish as feeders, i really dislike goldies for that, if you need live, i would make sure you get nice clean and healthy guppies or ghost shrimp. Feed him bloodworms if hes small and doesnt hurt as a snack for adults, but also try things like tilipia and shrimp and a high quality pellet food.

What is the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels? If your tank has only been set up for 2 weeks then i would be inclined to say you haven cycled it right? Cycling is where you add artificial ammonia over a period of time to build up beneficial bacteria in your filters which then eat your fishes waste and keeps your water clean, but you still need regular maintenance.

Hope you enjoy your new bichir, and just know you can never stop at once!

Blazin

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2013
Illinois
welcome! I would agree with the post above, keep an eye out on the ammonia. Unless you use a filter from an established tank, two weeks isn't enough to cycle a tank. I am not sure if you're new to the hobby, but if you are google or you tube how to cycle a fish tank. There is a ton of info out there, and of course you can post here for help too. I've seen a lot of people have luck with Tetra Safe Start for starting a new tank too

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
Tbh im not a huge fan of tetra safe start, a waste of money if you ask me, beneficial bacteria lives on hard surfaces in a tank, so there isnt much help from these bottles but there still is benefit in it, so if you want to buy that product go ahead, the best thing to help cycle a tank is to use some media from the filter of a already established tank.

LancasterK26

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2014
Auburn, WA
Thank you so much for your advice. I really appreciate it. I will definitely give some serious thought to his food.

Water has been cycled. The ammonia is at .5 ppm. The nitrite is at 0 ppm. The nitrate is at 0 ppm.

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
The water has not been cycled if the ammonia is at .5ppm it should be at 0ppm, also you should be showing some nitrates by now so id say your cycle is just starting and that ornate is going to have some stress from the levels in the tank.

How big is the tank? I would do a large water changed to lower the ammonia, and do water changes every time ammonia or nitrites go above 0. You are doing what is called a fish-in cycle.

LancasterK26

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2014
Auburn, WA
The water has not been cycled if the ammonia is at .5ppm it should be at 0ppm, also you should be showing some nitrates by now so id say your cycle is just starting and that ornate is going to have some stress from the levels in the tank.
Just an update: I was using the wrong testing solution earlier. My ammonia is at 0ppm. The nitrites are at 0ppm. I do not the nitrates testing solution but will be picking that up tomorrow. My housemates showed me how to use the testing stuff, so I'll have the information that I need from now on. And my b/f assured me that he cycled my tank.

As I said before, I am new to this whole thing. I've never had fish of any kind before.

And thank you again for the information.

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
Your welcome, do you know the tank size though? I apologize if im coming off a little blunt, just want to help you and your fish. :D

LancasterK26

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2014
Auburn, WA
Your welcome, do you know the tank size though? I apologize if im coming off a little blunt, just want to help you and your fish. :D
It's a 55 gallon. My b/f said that when Wōden gets bigger, he'll help me makeWōden a larger tank.

And I appreciate the assistance. So please don't apologize for anything.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store