j G. altifrons

untitled.png

Reactions: Johnnyracer72

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
Those illustrations do leave out the tail markings though, which can sometimes be used to confirm or rule out certain fish.

bigguapote

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2005
New Jersey
www.tangledupincichlids.com
Some of my favorite fish in the spot light - or under the microscope as some may view it.
At any rate, the previously posted sketches are diagnostically helpful when viewing size and placement of lateral spot, but knowing the origin of the fish is really key.

I've imported, kept/keeping, and photographed (not always too well, but mostly passable documentary purposes) at all the above mentioned species in that key except maybe megasema. I will also post photos of another related and recently described species that proves to be real treat to earth eater fans.

I think photos of live 'suranimensoid-type' Geophagus may be helpful to Chef Brian and others too hopefully.

abal4.jpg

abali.jpg

abal5.jpg

Abalios were imported from Rio Orinoco tributaries in Colombia and Venezuela.
Note no spot on operculum (cheek).

dicrozter.jpg

dicr.jpg

Dicrozoster are often seen in same collections as abalios. Note dicrozoster has mark on the operculum and is slightly more elongated in body shape.

wine7.jpg

daem.wine.jpg

wine1.jpg

wine3.jpg

wine5.jpg

Winemilleri have been imported from Colombia and Venezuela too. This is a more robust-bodied species; similar to abalios - but winemilleri has mark on operculum where abalios does not.

suran1.jpg

The name of this species is incorrectly applied to many of these 'suranimensoid' types, but this is a really, really rare fish in the trade. The reason being that collections of this species rivers where it occurs are next to non-existent.

geo.broko4.jpg

geo.broko6.jpg

Here is another Suriname-collected species that is very suranimensis-like. These were collected from Lake Brokopondo.

brachy.jpg

Again with the cheek marking. This species is found in same waters as brokopondo, but distinguishable by presence of mark on operculum.

The G. altifrons complex is... complex! There is work being done with these species and some new descriptions have occurred recently. No doubt more to come.
Generally, altifrons are recognized for possessing a very small lateral spot. You will notice the varying sizes and placement of that spot on below fish.
That fact and other characteristics leads one to believe that they will not all be classified as altifrons when review time comes.

alt.toc.jpg

alta2.jpg

altif.cameta1.jpg

altif.mos.jpg

altiftap.jpg

alt.tapaj2b.jpg

altif25.jpg

See what I mean?

proxi.jpg

Now there's a big lateral blotch!

argy3.jpg

argy2.jpg

Cool stuff. Note the spangles around the lateral spot.

g.sveni1.jpg

g.sveni2.jpg

g.sveni3.jpg

Newly described from southern Brazil. These were collected in Rio Parana. I am expecting more in upcoming weeks. A real treat from Geo fans!

And there are several md growing species that share same general profile as well.

camopien.jpg

camop.jpg

Also from the northern tier of S. Am. continent, this is a rarity in the trade - collected in French Guiana.

taenio.jpg

taenio1.jpg

From Colombia and Venezuela.

pindare.jpg

pindare1.jpg

parnaib.jpg

parnaib1.jpg

rh.geo.tap.jpg

geo.redhead.jpg

View attachment 1036345

All from different watersheds in Brazil.

abal4.jpg

abali.jpg

abal5.jpg

wine7.jpg

dicrozter.jpg

dicr.jpg

daem.wine.jpg

wine1.jpg

wine3.jpg

wine5.jpg

suran1.jpg

geo.broko4.jpg

geo.broko6.jpg

brachy.jpg

camopien.jpg

camop.jpg

alt.toc.jpg

alta2.jpg

altif.cameta1.jpg

altif.mos.jpg

altiftap.jpg

altif25.jpg

alt.tapaj2b.jpg

proxi.jpg

argy3.jpg

argy2.jpg

g.sveni1.jpg

g.sveni2.jpg

g.sveni3.jpg

taenio.jpg

taenio1.jpg

pindare.jpg

pindare1.jpg

parnaib.jpg

parnaib1.jpg

rh.geo.tap.jpg

geo.redhead.jpg

softturtle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2005
N.W. Indiana
^^^ nominated for the "best post of the day" award. Where's my bib so I can clean up this drool?

Reactions: fishguy1978

lmt6600

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2010
Nunya
Thanks for posting, very much info here, Im more confuse Than ever lol

Sent from my C6902 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store