Whats a good vitamin supplement to soak food in (fish/shrimp/pellets)

Jayfish7

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
New York
Looking to feed by fish some chopped up fish (tilapia /shrimp etc) but would like to pre soak it in a vitamin supplement so they get the nutrients they need (so much cheaper feeding as well)

whats the best type of vitamin soak is out there (name?)

thx for the help! :grinno:

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
You shouldn't have to soak any pellets..good ones anyway,plus that might make a mess of them.You could stuff the raw with some pellets though...Ive been seeing a lot of talk of soaking raw foods in Vitachem which is made by Seachem and I have been meaning to try it.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Oops,it's not made by Seachem,it's by Boyd Enterprises,sorry.
ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1409484551.321903.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

suprd71

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2012
North Bay Ontario Canada
I have been using Boyd's for a long time. Last bottle I bought I was told that the previous products of fresh and marine were to soon be combined into one good for all fish supplement. Becoming hard to find here in Canada. Seachem Nourish is same thing, dif company obviously. My fish are SA/CA cichlids, they all benefit from the vitamin. I strongly believe its a worthwhile purchase.

Jayfish7

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
New York
Noob question (and thanks for the help with product name!) .. Do you soak the food in the vitamin? Or is it dropped into the tank water?... In def gonna look into this as pellets are pretty costly and boring.. If this will keep me guys healthy and growning I like this alternative better (?)

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I wouldn't pour any directly into the water as it would never get into the fish before either dispersing or getting sucked into the filter.Just soak the raw in a small amount of the stuff before feeding it to your fish.What are you keeping by the way?

chevyguy1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2013
kansas
You could put it in the water all you would have to do is treat it like a water treatment and unplug the filtration system. See if that work. Then just feed while its unplugged. Might work

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jayfish7

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
New York
im keeping large SAs (Oscar/Jag/GT)

both ideas i will attempt and see which works best ... thanks!

could this be an every day feeding (vitamin soaked meat?)... and be healthy enough? thx

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Not sure about every day use but it shouldn't hurt.I happened to have some on hand from my last dry goods order from a few months ago.I've had it in my cabinet and haven't even tried it yet.
I would stick with good pellets mostly for those fish though and use the raw as treats.There are good prices to be found on line.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
If one is feeding a quality pellet, using a liquid vitamin is pretty much a waste of money.

If one is mostly feeding fresh or frozen then fish will benefit from a vitamin supplement, the one I prefer in that case is Boyd's Vitachem.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4998

could this be an every day feeding (vitamin soaked meat?)... and be healthy enough? thx
Yes, as long as you feed a variety of fresh/frozen to meet the rest of the fishes nutritional needs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store