Staghorn algae

Brazzen1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2013
Chickasaw Nation
Hi fellow mfk'ers I just set up a 20L, about 2 weeks ago, with play sand and plants. Before I added the sand I put in a few pellets of Osmocote. Most of the sand is new but some of it is from another aquarium. After the water cleared from adding the sand I found that I had staghorn growing on all of the rocks and a few pieces on the glass. None is growing on the plants, so I'm not that concerned right now. Also there are 1/8" silver worms twisting in the water, I don't think that they are planaria because I've had those before and these look nothing like them. I would say they look like metal shaving. The only things in the tank right now are mts and plants. My questions are is this algae dangerous to my plants & what are these worms? BTW I have a small internal filter providing circulation, it's enough to move the leaves. I dose 2x/week with flourish comprehensive. No CO2, I want a super low tech tank, and I don't really want to use Excel because I heard that it could kill my anacharis. My lighting is 2-24" t5ho bulbs (6500k & 10000k). I just started running one for an hour then both for 8 hours then the other one for an hour. The plants are anacharis, anubius, wisteria, a couple of Amazon swords & I'm trying to bring back a Java fern and morimo moss ball. Thanks for any help that you guys can give. Excuse the long winded post but I wanted to explain everything right from the start.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store