Psycho "Jack Dempsey"

Cichlidshady

Banned
Aug 22, 2014
dallas
Hello has anyone ever had a Jack Dempsey that literally tries to murder everything? I have had a few before but this one is very different, in his behavior and coloration. He has more red on his head and fins than i have ever seen and he has a prominent black stripe going down his back and few blue specks for a male his age. I thought this was just juvie colors but they have stayed with him his whole life. I bought him as Jack Dempsey from Petsmart but i went back on old pictures of my other male jack's his size and they look like different species. Im starting to think he may not be full Dempsey but im not very knowledgeable about them. he is about 4-5 months old and has a kill list already. 1 convict, jaguar, oscar. The oscar and jaguar are living but they would not be if I hadn't intervened. he is a monster.... but is he full-blooded Jack dempsey?

Cichlidshady

Banned
Aug 22, 2014
dallas
Sent from my SM-G900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App here is a view of his red fins he was freaked by my camera so the red isn't as prominent but you can still see it

uploadfromtaptalk1409520026435.jpg

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
He is bleached out because of the light gravel. Put him on a darker natural or black and you will bring out more of his blues.

As far as his attitude goes I had one dempsey that ruled his tank with an iron fist, so too speak. He never killed anything but also never lost his dominance in spite of not being the largest male in the tank. Once in a while one of the other males would try a coup but none ever pulled it off. After putting the usurper in his place the main man would harass that fish for a while but never to the point I had to remove them to save their life. God I miss that fish!

suprd71

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2012
North Bay Ontario Canada
JD can be a tough guy for sure. I have a 3yr 9in male, very mild mannered fella, bothers nobody in his community tank. I have a 2yr 6-7in male, complete opposite. My very large Oscars hate him, but he bullies everything else close to his size. He's been chillin alone in a 75 for a couple months. I'm gonna try him again with a big Oscar soon, maybe his time out alone toned him down a bit.

Cichlidshady

Banned
Aug 22, 2014
dallas
Sent from my SM-G900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Tough but not psychotic I'm taking him to our lfs in Dallas tomorrow I'm not going to keep a divider up all the time, I have a video on YouTube of him as soon as I took out the divider all over my oscar he has to go

viejafish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2013
Northeast
JD can be a tough guy for sure. I have a 3yr 9in male, very mild mannered fella, bothers nobody in his community tank. I have a 2yr 6-7in male, complete opposite. My very large Oscars hate him, but he bullies everything else close to his size. He's been chillin alone in a 75 for a couple months. I'm gonna try him again with a big Oscar soon, maybe his time out alone toned him down a bit.
It's common for JD is mellow down with old age. The most aggressive JD, IME, are the subadults.

Cichlidshady

Banned
Aug 22, 2014
dallas
Sent from my SM-G900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App understood but he relentlessly tries to murder my oscar and jaguar as soon as he sees them I think it's a level higher than just defending territory honestly my red devils didn't even harass so bad and they too killed fish

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store