Treating anchor wormsu

baconmeupscotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
Kansas
So I made a very, VERY stupid mistake. I brought home a new little ranchu a couple weeks ago and did not quarantine it. I know, I know; I should practice what I preach and always quarantine. Yesterday I noticed my larges ranchu had an anchor worm by her fin. I was running out the door and didn't have the time (or supplies) to remove it. When I got ready this morning to remove it the worm was gone. The spot where it emerged is raised and bright red. I've been doing research on how to treat the whole tank but have some questions I need clarified because I keep seeing different answers. I picked up a couple bottles of Jungle Clear (potassium permanganate). I just did a large water change this morning using Prime so I know I need to wait 48 hours before dosing the tank.

Tank Specs:
45g
Running for 1.5 years
Two Fluval 406's
Moderately planted
68-70 degrees
Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 10 or less (API liquid test kit)
6 Fancy goldfish ranging from 6 inches to 1 inch
3 or so nerite snails and a ghost shrimp or two
60-80% PWC every 2-3 days (I've tested and I can get away with a large water change once per week without nitrites getting crazy but I like them as low as possible to boost growth)

Questions:
1. Can I use the Jungle Clear in conjuncture with aquarium salt (probably at half or quarter concentration because of my plants) to prevent the wound on the ranchu getting infected?
2. Do I follow the dosing on the back of the bottle (1 tsp per 10 us gallons) or is there a different concentration for anchor worms?
3. How long do I leave it before I can change water again?
4. How many rounds should I do? Just one and wait to see if any more adult worms show up?
5. I use the same python for water changes with this tank and my 75g bichir tank. What can I do to prevent infecting the bichir tank? Right now I am rinsing the tank end in chlorinated water before putting it in the bichir tank after emptying and filling the goldfish tank.
6. This will restart my cycle, correct?

I am concerned with trying to balance the specifications of the Jungle Clear treatment with keeping the water parameters pristine to reduce the risk of infection.

Thanks!

baconmeupscotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
Kansas
Well, I had to pull the carbon out of my cannisters and since it was time to clean them anyways I did a full change and a big water change. So I had to hold off another 2 days so the prime doesn't affect the potassium. I just added the dose from the back of the bottle (5mL/10g). It looks like it's hit or miss if it will kill my snails. Once the water changes back to clear (it should take at least 12 hours or it means there's too much organic matter) it means all of the potassium has reacted so I can do another water change, hopefully tomorrow evening. Then I guess I just sit and wait to see if they reappear. It will definitely kill my cycle but there is no way to save the bacteria without risking reintroducing the worms. It's going to be a blast recycling the tank since it's overstocked and I spend 12-14 hours a day in school >.< Wish me luck!

baconmeupscotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
Kansas
Well FUDGE. The water is already clear. Which leads me to believe it has NOT be effective as my research says it should stay purple for several hours. And the bottle of Jungle Clear doesn't say the concentration of potassium permanganate so I don't want to risk dosing more and hurting the fish. It looks like I will have to go the dry powder route which I was really hoping to avoid. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

tanyaelec11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
canada
I used API general cure when I had an epidemic of anchor worms just after I moved . It worked within a week and two weeks later all of my fish were healed up and healthy. It did not kill the snails I had or the plants . For some reason however my tank recycled. Im not sure if it was the general cure or if it was from me opening the fx5 and pulling everything out for a good rinse. Good luck anchor worm I find can be difficult to get rid of if not treated properly . Make sure you gravel vacuum a lot in the next few weeks . It will help tons !

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store