Oscars aggressive!

magicfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2014
Ontario
Hi guys. When I was in my teens I raised an Oscar from juvenile to fully grown. He was a great pet and I had him for a long time. He was quite aggressive but he never bothered my shovelnose cat. But he was big and mean
The only fish I had that came close to his aggression was my Red Devil.
Fastforward many years and I finally have a new Oscar. And guess what? He is fantastic and Im really enjoying him and he is just as mean and nasty and gluttonous as my previous one.
Here's the thing. Since the advent of internet forums I have heard many people say that Oscars aren't aggressive. How can this be?
Have I got the only two aggressive Oscars in the world? Or do people just not consider them aggressive compared to other species?

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I'd say they are aggressive, I think compared to real bruisers like red devils, jags etc; they quickly pale in comparison

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Montelboom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Maryland
Usually Oscars are more gluttonous then aggressive. They mainly focus on eating whatever fits rather then defend territory unless their breeding.

Sent from my SCH-R830C

Crazy mike

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2012
Vacaville,California
What about a peacock bass? Would it be compatible with an oscar?
Depending on tank size yes, but peacock bass need at least a 8 foot tank. Oscars are wimps in my experience when it comes to a truly mean fish. They are tanks but not on par with parachromis species, amphs , or even convicts for that matter.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

magicfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2014
Ontario
Depending on tank size yes, but peacock bass need at least a 8 foot tank. Oscars are wimps in my experience when it comes to a truly mean fish. They are tanks but not on par with parachromis species, amphs , or even convicts for that matter.

See this is what I mean. This hasn't been my experience.

Crazy mike

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2012
Vacaville,California
See this is what I mean. This hasn't been my experience.
I've had mean ones but none have done more than eat fish smaller than themselves and slightly bully similar sized fish. I've never had a oscar kill a fish it's own size of bigger. I have had Red Devils, managuense, black belts and the like murder entire tanks and kill things almost twice their size. What did you keep your oscars with? What size tank? What size was the oscar relative to the other fish and had it been alone in the tank previously? There are a lot if factors when it comes to a aggressive fish.

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
Usually Oscars are more gluttonous then aggressive. They mainly focus on eating whatever fits rather then defend territory unless their breeding.

Sent from my SCH-R830C
This has been my experience for the most part as well; maybe a small face off for territory or a chase but not much else.

Even when breeding they didn't "take over" my tank like I thought they might and my O's are my largest fish.

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
It's like Montelboom said...and its also a matter of perspective. They are more aggressive than the typical common community fish most people keep (angels, gourami, etc). I've never had an Oscar that was in any way dominant

Sent from my SPH-L720 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I had oscars when I was younger and they were pretty easy going fast forward and the oscar I currently have is a s.o.b beat the crap out of the large silver dollars and until I added them he wouldnt let the yellow acara out of its cave the only fish he didnt bother with was a small hrp....who knows

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store