Drip System for Stingrays

Raymann88

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2011
Canada
The intent of this thread is not to debate drip systems vs manual water changes but to get feedback from those using drip systems for rays. For those ray keepers using drips, can you provide details such as:

1. Drip flow rate and size of tank or system (if running multiple tanks)

2. Do you drip continuously or drip on a timer?

3. Do you drip directly into the tank(s), drip into a storage tank / vat and pump to the tank(s) or drip to a common recirculating sump barrel (for multiple tanks) and pump from there?

4. Do you use a drip system only or supplement with additional water changes either manually or automatically?

5. Do you draw down the water level on the tank(s) first and drip the water back up to full or run a continuous drip in with an overflow?

6. Do you drip straight tap water (dechlorinated) or mix with RO/DI systems and if so what percentage of mix?

Just looking at tweaking my system and wondering what others are doing. I currently drip 6gph on a 1400 gallon system with 60% tap and 40% RO continuous drip into a recirculating barrel with an overflow. Fresh water is delivered at the base of the recirculating pump which is submersed at the bottom of the barrel pumping water to 5 tanks. The overflows for the tanks are returned back to the recirculating barrel and discharged near the surface where there is an overflow hose to the floor drain. System is set up if there is a power failure, when the power comes back on the water will start to recirculate before the barrel runs dry eliminating any chance of burning out the pump

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

murray8698

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2013
cincinnati, oh
I have 2 tanks, a 500 and a 200, I drip 60 gpd in the 500 and 40 gpd in the 200. I use just tap water that goes through a chlorine/chloramine filter I had Aqua fx build for me, water runs into main tanks 24/7. I have 5 rays in the 500 and 2 pups in the 200, I have had my drip system running for over a year now with no issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
I have 600 UK gallon total volume with 5 adult rays. My drip comes straight from the tap through the HMA filter pods and straight into the tank. Mine is timd to come on for 3 hours in the morning and 3 hours in the afternoon. It does not drip, it comes on full flow. Not got a clue how much this means i change in water, i worked it out once but can't remember. But it works for me and never had any issues.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Tank 1000 gal
5 rays
Lots of other big fish so not lightly stocked
Not do any manual water changes on the tank for nearly 5 years
I front drip water into the main tank it flow throw a 80psi RO pump then throw a 3 pod hma then out of the hma it splits into 2 drip lines 1 goes directly into the main tank the other goes into 2 x 100 gal per day ro membranes then from the ro to the main tank with the first drip line

I probably put about 150 gal of RO and the same of normal hma water so total 300 gal per day everyday

I don't see the point in a drip unless you are getting the most out of it as you can or until it's costing to much to heat

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
I do between 50 and 250 gallons per day depending on the amount of rays in the tank, ph, nitrates, etc.

I just run water right from a cold water line, through a carbon filter, and into the tank.

johnny potatoes

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2010
Dewey
I do between 50 and 250 gallons per day depending on the amount of rays in the tank, ph, nitrates, etc.

I just run water right from a cold water line, through a carbon filter, and into the tank.

This seems quite simple. Could you elaborate on the type of carbon filter, and what kind of metering device you're using. Anything else you could tell us? I'm setting up a 450 soon and this seems like the way to go. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
This seems quite simple. Could you elaborate on the type of carbon filter, and what kind of metering device you're using. Anything else you could tell us? I'm setting up a 450 soon and this seems like the way to go. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
A carbon block is the same as a hma but a hma is the same as a RO unit without the membrane so no waste water hma has 3 pods 1 sediment filter in the first pod then 1 granular carbon in the second pod and a solid carbon block in the last pod
You just have water going in from the tap and a flow tap after all the pods before it goes back to the main tank

It's very easy to run like this and cheap to maintain with the filters costing much less than tap water conditioners each year

Raymann88

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2011
Canada

What size tank(s) are you dripping into? Is that flow rate for all your tanks or per tank?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store