Best type of worm to feed cichlids!

Jayfish7

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
New York
Wondering, whats the best type of worm (both in nutrition/safety and cost)... I usually feed my large SAs frozen blood worms, but they are low in nutrition, small is size and high is cost considering how many cubes i need to use at 1 time ...

:cheers:

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Depending on the size of the fish, anything from small baby earth worms to night crawlers. You can cultavate your own, so cost once established will be very low. You can start off with some Red wigglers from the bait shop or PetSmart.

TRENT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2007
OREGON
I also culture red wigglers. Easy and inexpensive. I starts with 1000-1300 (sold by weight) for 30.00 on craighslist. Haven't bought worms in years.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I culture micro worms which are great for most fry.:) Agree with other members about earthworms,nightcrawlers,and red wigglers great protein.

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Earthworms and nightcrawlers are (in my experience) a heck of a lot harder to culture than red wigglers. I just have a bin in my garage that I use as a receptacle for any kitchen veggie/fruit/paper waste.

Matt

I culture micro worms which are great for most fry.:) Agree with other members about earthworms,nightcrawlers,and red wigglers great protein.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store