Best fish to help keep (brown) algae down....

Jayfish7

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
New York
What do you think its the best fish to help keep brown algae at bay (need something that can protect itself/not too small

I have a 6" pleco but he "poops" way to much and it seems to defeat the purpose.

hows Raphael cat? anything else? or is pleco they best way to go? thx

:headbang2

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
Do a big scrubbing and Cut down the amount of light by a lot. That is the only way I have found to get rid of it. It takes a while but eventually it will die off. Most fish won't eat brown algae and completely agree about the Pleco. Adding another fish will be no different.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
I had brown algae covering the back wall of my 750 and my flagtail cleared the entire wall within days.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Plecos are pretty much usless for this purpose. Bristlenose may be the exception but not by too much as any I have owned were pretty good at it. A great fish in a non agressive comunity set up would be the Siamese algea eater (Crossocheilus siamensis) Mollys are also pretty good at eating algea. If you have any large aggressive cichlids nither of these will work however.

Jayfish7

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
New York
Flag tail ... Didn't think of them, but they get pretty big... As for Algae eaters and mollies.. I have large SAs so they would be a snack.. I need something able to defend itself (or protect itself)...

As for scrubbing... I did that over and over and it just comes back.. I have about 8 hours of light on the tank in a 24 hour day... I would just like a fish or something that can keep it at bay, and this pleco is really beatutiful but poops like crazy so I'm thinking if getting rid of it (80% of what I vacuum during a WC is pleco poop!)

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
What size tank do you have? Flagtails go well with cichlids.

poppalina

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2010
Boston
Bushy nose plecos are the best, I had brown algae covering the holy rock in my Tropheus tank a week later it's white again.

Jayfish7

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
New York
How's the bushy nose in terms if producing waste (pooping!) is it as much as the common pleco? If so , the. It's a no go! As for tank size , I have a 180 g but it's stocked already ... Wouldn't want to over stock.. But if I'm swapping a flag tail for a pleco maybe it'll be the same? (What type of flag tail? As there seems to be a couple dif ones) thx so much

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store