KEEPING BABY ROCKFISH!

BlueTailCatfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
bmore
Is it legal? Yesterday i caught one that is about 8 inches in the chesapeke bay... I know trchnically no fish are lwgal but are there special laws with rockfish/stripers? If i cant keep them where can i buy one???

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Is that saltwater?....could be wrong but I wasn't aware there were laws against collecting most saltwater fish...as for stripers,the Asian supermarkets around here seem to always have tanks full of live stripers.

BlueTailCatfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
bmore
Is that saltwater?....could be wrong but I wasn't aware there were laws against collecting most saltwater fish...as for stripers,the Asian supermarkets around here seem to always have tanks full of live stripers.
What is the name of one of the supermarkets i am gonna give them a call...

And arent stripers the same thing as rockfish? Just in freshwater? I know at the national aquarium they have a bunch of signs saying they are protected etc etc.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Striper=rockfish, as well as other names. I would say no, you can't keep a small one. They are a game fish so there are regulations regarding size. 8" is well below the legal size. Also, many states require that if you catch a game fish of legal size and intend to keep it, the fish must be killed immediately.

flukekiller

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2014
gloucester, va 23061
stripers and rockfish are the same it just depends on the location/size/season they are being fished for. stripers/rockfish are saltwater fish not freshwater.. they do travel up rivers to brackish/fresh water to give birth. they can not live in fresh water alone. the other thing you could look at would be white bass which are typically freshwater and look similar to striped bass. also on that note there are striped bass hybrids which are striped bass and white bass when mating upstream. I would not keep a striped bass in a tank unless it is huge. i have seen 48" + striped bass while fishing and the same goes for ones held in captivity... since you are in fishing in ches. bay i would go to bass pro in hampton and checkout there display tank. they have multiple bass over 36" in there, they look miserable and that is easily over 1000gal tank.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Flukekiller there are landlocked Stripers that live and reproduce their whole lives in freshwater.
Yes. Parts of the Colorado River chain, Lake Powell and Lake pleasant in Phoenix are full of freshwater, landlocked, invasive and breeding striped bass. Haven't seen a white bass or crappie in Lake pleasant in 4 or 5 years now. I spend a lot of time down there. They out compete other species for food, spawn early and free spawn with floating eggs. There's no limit for freshwater stripers on Lake pleasant.

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Stripers are terrible fish for home aquariums. They are roamers and they will stressed out if they felt cramped in small areas.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Yes. Parts of the Colorado River chain, Lake Powell and Lake pleasant in Phoenix are full of freshwater, landlocked, invasive and breeding striped bass. Haven't seen a white bass or crappie in Lake pleasant in 4 or 5 years now. I spend a lot of time down there. They out compete other species for food, spawn early and free spawn with floating eggs. There's no limit for freshwater stripers on Lake pleasant.

There are rumors of small breeding populations of stripers reproducing in Great Lakes.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I don't doubt it. Seems like they thrive wherever introduced. I've read that females can lay 14,000-3,000,000 eggs annually. Insane. They are roaming fish not suited for home aquarium.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store