New guy looking for an entertaining fish for my 55g

Pitbull14218

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
Ny
Hi, this isn't my first tank, i'm interested in fish like the wolf fish, sabretooth(vampire tetra/ scomb)?? Birchir?

I want a fish that is entertaining to feed, something that tears up the feeders, I'm ok with having only 1 fish in my tank, although it would probably be nice to have a pleco or something to clean up a little

Any recommendations? I have searched, and googled, but I'm still having problems deciding. I'm about to leave my house now to go to our LFS that has all the good aggressive fish. EXCITED :)

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
A red wolf would work ok in a 55 , they tear up feeders , or one of the dwarf snakeheads if your not in the US , again they will chase feeders but not as aggressive as wolfs

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
For bichirs, you're pretty much limited to the Senegal but albinos and normals are common so that won't be a problem or even a group of ropefish. You can even keep a couple hujeta gars for the top. Mine attacked feeders voraciously but I switched them over to floating sticks and that was still pretty entertaining to watch how they attack them. I agree with the red wolf fish being a good choice. As for payara, you're limited to a single scomb but I loved the group I had. I think a cool mix for ya would be the Senegal bichir, a few ropefish, hujeta gars and an African brown knife. Make sure to have a lot of filtration though because they make a mess when they eat

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Pitbull14218

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
Ny
For bichirs, you're pretty much limited to the Senegal but albinos and normals are common so that won't be a problem or even a group of ropefish. You can even keep a couple hujeta gars for the top. Mine attacked feeders voraciously but I switched them over to floating sticks and that was still pretty entertaining to watch how they attack them. I agree with the red wolf fish being a good choice. As for payara, you're limited to a single scomb but I loved the group I had. I think a cool mix for ya would be the Senegal bichir, a few ropefish, hujeta gars and an African brown knife. Make sure to have a lot of filtration though because they make a mess when they eat

How are the scomb or sabretooth tetra or payara when it comes to feeding and general maintenance? Are they all the same species?

I really like their teeth.

So are you saying that I can have one of each in a 55g?

Pitbull14218

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
Ny
Also can I buy these fish online? Or how do I get them, because my LFS didn't have any of these, except a some bichir but I don't know if I should get one, someone told me they don't eat like the others.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
How are the scomb or sabretooth tetra or payara when it comes to feeding and general maintenance? Are they all the same species?

I really like their teeth.

So are you saying that I can have one of each in a 55g?
No way you can keep any of those fish in a 55.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store