ID this frontosa?

Spontaneous

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2010
SE Washington
I have 2 frontosa that came with my 125g tank full of south african cichlid. I want to get a proper ID before I list them for sale. I've tried to look them up but due to them not being in the best of shape and me being very green, I haven't been successful. One looks to be about 6-7 in and the other about 5.

To the right of the tank

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Possibly Burundi with an extra black bar (it happens) or possibly Kigoma. At least from those photos I'd say Burundi. Kigoma would have a dark cheek patch (dark blotch under the eye), which it's hard to tell with them that dark all over. Some fronts simply tend to stay dark, but it wouldn't be a huge leap to say they're not especially happy with some of the other fish in the tank. Also what are your temps and ph? Temperature is best in upper 70s and pH should be over 7 for frontosa. Too warm or too low pH won't make them happy, either.

Frontosa are from Lake Taganyika, whoever told you SA was way, way off.

Spontaneous

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2010
SE Washington
Thanks. I think I've narrowed them down to kigoma. They are looking better and starting color up. I'd say kigoma. My levels are still not perfect after setting up the tank at my house. Not sure what they were like at their old house. Did a small water change and realized one of my heaters wasn't even on... I need to buy a thermometer and new test kit. Current one is expired so the readings could be wrong.
These pics are from Sunday. This morning their bars were brighter and they are eating good and swimming around more. Stupid Mbunas are bothering them though. I plan on rehoming these two.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1409758697.533277.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1409758732.937001.jpg

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
You're right, now that they've lightened up a bit they're looking Kigoma. Frontosa and mbuna are a bad mix, with just a few exceptions that are still only 50/50 odds to work. Mbuna are just generally too hyper/aggressive/nippy to be good mates for fronts. Actually meant to mention that before but it slipped my mind before I finished my post.

In warm weather you can pretty easily get away without a heater for them. They're comfortable with tank temps in the low 70s ime and I've known a breeder who didn't use heaters at all, meaning their tank was in the upper 60s in the winter.

Looks like they'll be nice ones once the settle and/or the tank is more to their liking.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store