Noob in need of substrate

AmuseableDonkey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2014
California
Got my first cichlid ever, a male Parachromis dovii. He is young, about 5-6", and it's currently in a 65 gallon acrylic tank temporarily until I purchase a much larger tank. I am using a canister filter for a 200 gallon tank. Currently, I only have several pieces of fake corral for decoration, and no substrate. I know I want to go with a black substrate. But I have no idea what I should use. What are some recommendations? Easiest to add, easiest to clean, least likely to cause filer problems, etc.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I'd go with a dark brown or black gravel and chuck the fake saltwater coral in favor of a more realistic/natural look.Get some large round river rocks or a nice piece of driftwood with a few nice fake aquatic plants.

MarineMike

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2014
Southern California
In my opinion the best bang for your buck is the colored gravel from petco. a 20lb bag is $16.99 it's a smaller gravel but still heavy enough to be vacuumed easily. You'll probably want 2 bags for that size tank. I would suggest that you consider either a 50/50 mix of blue:black gravel to aid in bringing out the blues of the Dovii or at the very least add a 5lb bag of blue to the black gravel. pic is of 50/50 mix of blue/black and 6" Rio mag umbee. [Edit] Oops, just looked at your other thread and since you have the blue background I'd stick with the all black gravel or something a bit more natural looking.

DSC_0056.JPG

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
I much prefer black sand over gravel for a few reasons but mostly water quality and no cleaning. There are many options some use black blasting sand which can be bought at tsc but I love caribsea tahitian moon sand. Usually costs about a follar a pound but I can tell you wholesale is under 8 a bag if you can do any bartering with your lfs. The sand itsself has some blues amd yellows mixed in that catch the light and shimmer great. Petco brand black sand looked drab when I mixed it in

rdKirby

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2013
Texas
I use pool filter sand too. It was recommended to me on this site from several members and have been happy I made the transition from gravel.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Only issue with pfs is the op states he knows he wants black and I havent seen any black pfs

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
I use black blasting sand, Tahiti sand looks better but if price is a factor blasting sand is way better. I got 100 lbs. for under $20 where as sand from the LFS would cost me over $100

rdKirby

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2013
Texas
Ahh, my mistake for skimming through lol. Black diamond sand would be my recommendation then.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store