Fish Quarantine/BlueFace Angel

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
As my 150 gallon tank cycles (today I now have nitrites visible along with ammonia) I will be needing to go and buy a 40 gallon breeder for my quarantine tank. Mainly because since this will be a FOWLR there maybe some larger fish purchased.

How long do you quarantine your fish for? I was personally thinking 3 weeks.

My first fish will most likely be a Blue Face Angelfish that has been at my LFS for the past 3 months and it looks like in awesome shape! Was thinking of it being the first addition to the tank, however just this fish I don't want to quarantine and simply place it in the tank after an 1-2 hour drip accumulation. Do you think it will be ok to have this the first fish in the tank or will it be a complete bully to other fish..which will arrive about three weeks after ?

Also I will most likely be purchasing some fish through live aquaria, so that will lead to multiple fish coming in most likely 3... can 3 fish be quarantined in a 40 gallon breeder (all of them under 5 inches). Or should I put dividers in the tank with solid color so they don't see each other however the water throughout the chambers will be the same filtered through an AC 70 that will be running on the display tank prior to there arrival.

Thanks Appreciate it, I will post a picture of the tank in the "show off your rock" thread

muttley000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
West Unity, OH
What are the 3 fish you will be getting? Three weeks is not long enough in my opinion. A lot of people use 4 weeks, I personally use 6 weeks. If anything looks funny, I start the clock over.

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Im thinking of the first fish to be the Blue Face Angel as it will probably be the most expensive as well. Also it will be the biggest and first fish to help avoid it being bullied. The other fish I'm thinking about is a yellow tang at about 3-4 inches, long nose hawkfish biggest avail 4-5 inch, antenetta lion fish (one of the smaller lion fish species) probably at 3 inches. There are some other fish that I would like to add such as the Australian TuskFish and a big sand sifter goby.

I could do 4-6 weeks no problem, do you think they can be quarantined together or should i have them in the same water but there own chambers?

muttley000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
West Unity, OH
I personally would separate them, many would not worry about it. I would not qt the lion in small quarters with anything for sure. The sand sifter is tough to qt, almost be setting a tank up just for him to do that right

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Yeah I will separate them for sure, the goby I have seen them kept in bare bottom tanks especially at LFS so maybe a 4 week quarantine shouldn't bother them too much...or I can always get a little tray and put sand in it (sand that will never be put back into the display tank) so thats how when quarantine is finish I simply pull out the tray/dry out the sand and store it for a future goby quarantine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store