Fish Breeders

Spontaneous

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2010
SE Washington
Just been kind of playing with the thought in my head, but am curious to know how many people here breed their fish and sell them? There are like, 0 quality LFS's in my area. A new one popped up yesterday but I heard the tanks have black algae and the place looks bad. Not interested in that lol. Would love to hear your experiences on the matter!

Eclipse390

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2011
Hudson Valley, NY
I used to breed cichlids, but without having a store to sell them to - you are relying on local pick-up and shipping. So you'll be using sites like ebay or aquabid to sell your stock. If you don't mind shipping, then that's no problem. You also have to take into account what happens if you don't sell the fry
Do you have grow out space? Do you have space for sub adults that didn't sell? Are you breeding for a specific trait? Will you be keeping fry to breed back into the lines later? A lot goes into it if you're serious.

Sent from my SM-G900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Spontaneous

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2010
SE Washington
Well I definitely do not know enough to start breeding any time soon. Plus my family and I will be making the trek from TN back to WA sometime this year. Right now just ind of trying to gather experience. back home in WA I know of a couple places I don't think would mind buying but then again, I don't know. Haven't been home in a couple years lol.

mikeurbeck06

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2011
michigan, clio
I'm starting out small to see how it goes breeding expensive guppies like cobras and what not there easy to breed and in somewhat demand in my area I'm also breeding angelfish. I just started with the angels but due to stress from the trip from the store the didn't fertilize this batch crossing my fingers for the next. I'm also breeding Jack Dempsey's and molly's I have 4 10 gal 1 15 gal a 40 gal a 100 gal a 150 gal and a "140 gal koi pond for the many guppies I have" it takes a lot of work and money to start out I'm looking for and 15 more 10 gal's and a few 55 gal's you also need the room I'm in a cramped basement but looking to move to a section in the garage. Hope I could help a little pm me if u have any questions

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store