Sunfish dancing

Anthony Nolet

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2012
Oregon
Has anyone ever seen any of their sunfish facing the top of the tank then shaking their tail and head? The best way to describe it is like they're dancing, but it's also moving gravel around. Is it a breeding thing or is it a territorial thing? I've seen my bluegill and my green sunfish x pumpkinseed do it in the last week.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Could possibly have gill flukes

Anthony Nolet

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2012
Oregon
They both did it at the bottom of the tank and were kind of stirring up gravel. The also breath normally and their gill plates look normal. I'll look into it more though

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
It's spawning behavior for males, seen it plenty of times in my local quarry. If you have any females in the tank, keep an eye out for eggs in the pit the make will have dug out soon of not already. Males will get extremely aggressive after spawning and won't want the female around, they're the sole protector of the eggs and the fry at a young stage. What size tank and what stock do you have?

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
The male is trying to fan a depression in the sand/gravel to entice a female and to create a place to put down a spawn. This is the same 'dance' for all members of the Lepomis genus. They start doing this once the water reaches or exceeds their "trigger" temperature.

Anthony Nolet

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2012
Oregon
That's weird that it's a mating this since the bluegill is alone with a catfish. And the hybrid has been in the tank for only like 3 days and is only 3-4".

Anthony Nolet

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2012
Oregon
I wonder if the hybrid could mate with the normal pumkinseeds. Don't know what they would be like. Interesting to see what happens

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store