Red devil questions?

Mrs. Nicky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Norfolk, Va
Ok so I have a few questions about my 6 inch red devil. He is currently in a 60 gallon and he is growing very rapidly. I plan on moving him to my 125 gallon. I am wondering at what size should I move him. I dont want him to be stunned so I would like to move him before that happens. I have a bunch of fish in my 125 at the moment so I would have to decide which fish from the 125 I would want to keep. Also he is not a glass bangger at all. I mean he is usually out and about but he will run and hide when I place my hand over the tank to feed him. At what size do they usually become aggressive? Thanks in advance for helping me answer these questions.

***125 GALLON: 1 Jack Dempsey, 1 Convict, 2 red jewels, 1 Green Terror, 1 Gold Gourami, 1 Angelfish, and 1 12 inch pleco.
60 GALLON: 1 Red Devil.***

Crazy mike

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2012
Vacaville,California
Aggression can flare up at any size also depends on who it's with. My midevil isn't aggressive but that because she lives with fish tank either avoid her (in the case of my salvini)or are bigger and meaner than she is (in the case of my blackbelt.) as far as not stunting it. The average 60 is 15 inches wide correct? It could stay in there until it was close to 9-10 inches then you could move it. Or sooner it's up to you.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Size of tank won't automatically stunt a fish, but lack of water changes in a small tank will.
My rule of thumb for cichlids is 10 gallons per inch, but it could remain alone in the tank for a while, as long as large frequent water changes are done to remove nitrate, hormones and other undesirable unseen substances.
I have kept Amphilophus in 6ft cichlid communities, but usually those groups of fish have grown up together. You can try at any time to see if it works, just be ready net in hand, if carnage ensues.

Mrs. Nicky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Norfolk, Va
My 60 gallon is 12 inches wide. It is taller then a 55 gallon

***125 GALLON: 1 Jack Dempsey, 1 Convict, 2 red jewels, 1 Green Terror, 1 Gold Gourami, 1 Angelfish, and 1 12 inch pleco.

Mrs. Nicky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Norfolk, Va
I would love to be able to add him to my 125 with some of the fish that are currently in there.

Mrs. Nicky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Norfolk, Va
Maybe Im wrong I was told it was a 60 gallon. It is the same size as my old 55 gallon just a little taller

Crazy mike

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2012
Vacaville,California
I would love to be able to add him to my 125 with some of the fish that are currently in there.

You can just be prepared for the worse. They don't play nice.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
10 inches per gallon? I've never heard that before.

Just move him now lol get the butchering over and done with already.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store