Silver dollars

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Question is for silver dollar owners how many have all of you kept what was/is the minimum ? I have 4 metynnis fasciatus and was wondering if that is gonna work or do I have to add more. I really dont want to but if I do what are some of the smaller growing sd's
They are in a comm with oscar hrp yellow acara L200 and asian bbcat (not longt term) feel the tank is pushing rhe limits now so reluctant to add anymore fish (150 gal)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Cmon no one has sd's lol

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
I kept red hook silver dollars for many years. At the lowest point I had the school down to three and it always seemed two would school and the other was odd man out. I mixed in some of the smaller spotted types with them and they did fine together but I did not like the mixed types so I ended up getting more red hooks. Finally I had seven red hooks in my 210g and while the school was an impressive sight they just dove me nuts. Every feeding was a challenge to shut the lid before they hosed me down from attacking the food. They also were skittish and this tank was in my living room with high traffic so it just got to be irritating. After about Five years with them I decided to sell them and just go with a cichlid tank. I have never been happier. So that was not much of a help. lol

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Thanks man it was a help at least I know its possible to do a group of 4. Hoping the one recovering survives. Just did salt and water changes. Today started it on tetracycline. May add one more to make it 5. Sae some regular sd's today maybe trade in the catfish for an sd it look like a Ted hook who know hopefully the mix will be ok...

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
The fin rot from shipping that you have been dealing with is pretty common. I had to deal with it when I first got my red hooks. They are very hardy fish and yours should heal up in no time. I really did not like the look of a mixed group in my tank so when I finally found the red hooks available again I went for it and just did the big school. That was quite a sight to see seven of them in my 210g!

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
For some reason these guys are just too timid ... they are nothing like what dmd described. They have only eaten some bits of krill other than that they get out competed for food....maybe they are still adjusting... have lettuce on a clip all day not a nibble

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Had them for a week. Hope your right. You guys think they just need a little more time ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store