Homemade Tops for 20 longs?

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
Hello, a local pet store has $1/gallon sale and I'd like to pick up some 20 longs. The problem is the tops cost as much as the tanks. In the past I've just bought thin acyrlic from Lowes and laid it over the tanks but that tends to bow quickly. Has anyone had success in building tops?

adixon816

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2012
Piscataway, NJ
Local glass shop charges me 6 a piece two squares per tank. I use a small suction cup for a handle.

Sent from my HTCONE using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

soupa2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2007
cyn
If I find people trash glass I always find if its tempered or not if not I take it home and cut it to my size. I don't take 3/8" thick glass though. Anything would be 1/4 or less. Then cut the size I want..

adixon816

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2012
Piscataway, NJ
No hinge they go side by side to save cost. Thin 1/4" or 3/8" not a big front to back span so no big deal.

Sent from my HTCONE using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
You can have a glass shop cut you one and add a hinge and even that trim-able plastic piece for the back by ordering the components from somewhere like Dr. Fosters&Smith but it'll honestly end up being around the same price as one of the glass versa tops (Considering its for a 20 long).

If you just want an inexpensive top to prevent jumping and aren't too worried about evaporation; then you may want to look into light diffuser panel (available at most hardware stores). It won't sag like acrylic but it won't stop evaporation or splashing either.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store