Pls say it's not so....Septicemia??

angelcrze

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
Gatineau
I hate to make this my first post, but I am really worried about my 5-year-old male angelfish. He was in my 120g with great water params (NH3/NH4 & NO2=0ppm, NO3=5ppm) when I noticed about 1 1/2 months ago he was getting pudgy ( or slight abdominal swelling). I fed the tank more sparingly, veg flakes for a bit and left it alone just thinking he was getting fat. Then, about a month ago, after spawning with my 8-year-old angel, they were still protecting the last of the free swimmers, when the very next evening, I noticed to my complete surprise, the mom was very bloated all over. This was an overnight thing, like she was fine protecting the fry the night before. She ended up dying (long story, dropsy). But her death caught me by surprise and I looked very closely at the rest of the fish. I decided the 5-year-old belly bloated angelfishes' eyes were bulgy as well, and I thought at the pivot point of his pectoral fins, it was redder than normal. So I immediately removed him from the 120g and put him in a 33g hospital tank. I fed him Maracyn-2 medicated food for two weeks and dosed the tank with Kanaplex (kanamycin). His bloating looks better, and eyes seem better, but I am so afraid he has septicemia now.

He is eating, acting fairly normal now after medicating with antibiotics. As normal as to be expected moving tanks. I have to say too that I think the 120g had an internal parasite outbreak, so I dosed the 120g and his hospital tank with PraziPro 4/5 days ago after doing a huge water change in both. DOn't know if this is at all related.

I've Posted pics of things I am concerned with now. Redness that I don't think is part of his colouring. I may be being ignorant, but I don't want to accept that he has septicemia for fear that it is incurable, he is suffering or it's contagious, but I have to know. Basically, I just want to know if anyone can confirm what this could be, if I am being paranoid or ignorant. I've given as much info as I can think of at the moment. Please help!!! I am at a loss right now :( I just don't know.

IMG_7554 (Custom).JPG

IMG_7554_crop (Custom).jpg

IMG_7556 (Custom).JPG

IMG_7557 (Custom).JPG

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
What's your Ph.

angelcrze

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
Gatineau
The tank he is in now, the Ph is 7.6, so higher than the other when he first got sick. I don't know why this one stays so high, but it does, no rocks and inert gravel as far as I know. But his health would not be affected by this Ph, right? I acclimated him slowly, and he was already sick in the 7.2 ph tank. It actually dropped to 6.8, I tested it a couple days ago.

angelcrze

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
Gatineau
I've read around in the forum about Septicemia, and it seems tetracycline is used as a 'cure'. I wanted to know if someone else thought it might be septicemia before I medicate, and if it actually could be cured, was contagious or if he is suffering? Thanks!!!

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Use Triple sulfa for sepacemia. Not Tetracycline.

angelcrze

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
Gatineau
Do you think it is septicemia? I've already dosed the tank x3 with kanamycin as per the instructructions and medicated his food with maracyn 2, although I might not have done the food thing right. I can try triple sulfa, but I want to see what kind of damage it will do to inverts and bio first. Maybe I can medicate his food again with it? As long as I do it properly?

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
How does the fish look? Kanamycin is good for a lot of things but IME 3x is better for septacema. I wouldn't go using too many meds at once. 3X is not ment to be used as a food soak so I wouldn't do that. Give the kana some time to work and don't use the maracyn 2 as a food soak while treating with kana, kana is well absorbed so use it alone and see what happens in a few days. Do not go over board with meds it can easly do more harm than good.

angelcrze

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
Gatineau
How does the fish look? Kanamycin is good for a lot of things but IME 3x is better for septacema. I wouldn't go using too many meds at once. 3X is not ment to be used as a food soak so I wouldn't do that.
My fish looks the same as in the pics. He's been like that since the middle of August with no change. I did use the kanamycin back about 3 weeks ago, and I did use the maracyn 2 in his food prior to that and during treatment with kanamycin. But I don't think I medicated the food properly, so I don't know if it had any effect. Anyway, after the kana, he looked the same, still some pinkish/redness that I thought wasn't there before, but maybe less bloating. I do weekly water changes and assume the kanamycin is gone by now, but just like you say," I wouldn't go using too many meds at once", agree with this and didn't want to medicate him again if I was just being overly paranoid. So I thought I'd see if I could get someone else's opinion on the fish and how he looked. Can you see the pics? Did I post them wrong?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store