Would Thos Be Pushing The Limits?

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I technically don't have a full Fishroom now but my dining room was only being used on holidays so I'm allowed to use it as my "semi-Fishroom" and study area for myself for all but a few days of the year. Anyway, right now it has 3/6 current tanks and this week will have 4/7 tanks. The tanks that are in it include.

• 30 Long (36"x12"x16"), no heater, no lighting
  • 20 High (24"x12"x16"), no heater, T8 lighting for 12-14 hours daily
  • 20 High (24"x12"x16"), no heater, no lighting
  • 15 standard (24"x12"x12"), heater at 74F, T8 lighting for 6 hours daily.

For those around the pittsburgh area you've probably heard of GPASI. If you're not from around here, it's the biggest fish club in the area and I might go on a limb and say it's one of the best if not the best one in PA. Anyway, 90% of the people in it are breeding maniacs and I'm starting to catch the craze as well :). I have a double stand in my garage that could hold either one or two 30"x12" footprint tanks which I'd do both 20 longs. I'm eager to set them up fairly soon but I need to make room and the reason I'm using my dining room as a Fishroom for now is it has a lot of spots for tanks (the only space left on my house until my basement Fishroom is done) but unfortunately it's on my first floor meaning my garage is under it and I'd prefer the floor to not collapse onto our 6 month old new car And the truck we just payed the last payment on :). The reason I brought up GPASI is because their big fall auction is Sunday and there's always a ton of rare, cool, and most of the fish are breedable there that I could get tanks setup for quickly if I have the potential to via insta-cycling with mature sponge filters.

My worry is either the floor in the dining room will collapse with all the tank weight on a holiday when there 6-7 adult people in the room plus the water weight or the electrical setup of the room won't be able to handle the load of that many tanks (the tanks are really the only thing that are ever using electric in that room other than a lamp every now and then but that's still a lot of tanks).

So could I setup one 20 long, two 20 longs, or just wait until my basement Fishroom is done in the spring?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Sorry but I'm stuck on trying to visualize the layout of your house.You say the garage is under your main floor and then there is the basement,which is underneath the garage?...and what are you having done to your basement fish room?
More on topic,I'm no structural engineer but I don't see those tanks and your guests causing much of a problem.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Sorry but I'm stuck on trying to visualize the layout of your house.You say the garage is under your main floor and then there is the basement,which is underneath the garage?...and what are you having done to your basement fish room?
More on topic,I'm no structural engineer but I don't see those tanks and your guests causing much of a problem.
Yeah its a bit of a different layout. The garage is about half of my basement, I just don't really consider it my basement but I guess technically it is. The basement Fishroom still needs constructed :). Have to clean out all the junk and get tons of circuits added to it do I don't blow up anything XD

Should also mention I don't have a top quality house (Miranda) so I have what looks like Plywood floors instead of hardwood.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Okay I gotcha....my aunt's basement was like that actually but she sealed up the back entrance for the car and she keeps the car outside in the driveway.
That big auction you mentioned sounds interesting.I'm off this weekend but I'm not up to driving across the state lol.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Okay I gotcha....my aunt's basement was like that actually but she sealed up the back entrance for the car and she keeps the car outside in the driveway.
That big auction you mentioned sounds interesting.I'm off this weekend but I'm not up to driving across the state lol.
Lol, their big auction are always at the beginning of May and September so if you ever do decide you're up for it it's well worth it. Lasts about 10-12 hours and there around 12 tables packed full of rare fish!

So you think I'd be alright with another two 20 longs, weight and electricity wise?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Weighteise yeah but electric depends on your circuit/wiring set up.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Weighteise yeah but electric depends on your circuit/wiring set up.
Alright cool. Even when there's a bunch of people in the room? I guess I'm just overthinking it :). Wiring wise I wouldn't know without tearing the walls apart but I'm pretty sure my dining and one of my two family rooms are on the same circuit and like I said, only electric use in the dining room is the tanks and a room light and there's absolutely nothing using electricity at any time in the family room, we always use the other family room so we just use that one for our cats' things (food, water, letterbox, etc). And my fly tying supplies.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Oh no,I only meant if your circuit system could handle the load lol....and your guests won't just stand in that room the whole time will they...I would imagine they would be walking around and in and out of the room.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Oh no,I only meant if your circuit system could handle the load lol....and your guests won't just stand in that room the whole time will they...I would imagine they would be walking around and in and out of the room.
Oh, I think it can, I guess I'd be finding out :). No, they'd just be in there for meal(s).

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Think I'm going to try to get one 20 long setup by Sunday, don't want to do two at once. Then once I know the floor won't collapse I might setup another one :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store