Breeding Pair For a 20 Long

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Well after my semi recent drop in like for cichlids because they harass my catfish I've started to get into them again since now I know the most important rule: never keep cichlids with fish you value :). I'm setting up not only a 15 gallon for breeding Corys this week, but also hopefully a 20 long (30"x12"x12") by Sunday. I'm setting it up for then since the GPASI gigantic fall auction is Sunday and I'm looking to get some type of fish (possible cichlids since I'd keep only a pair or group) that I can breed. I'm looking for a fish that isn't difficult to breed yet you still have to put forth more effort than those in the Cichlasoma or Cryptoheros genuses to breed since I've already mastered that art of putting two Cutteris in a 75 and seeing what happens and want more of a challenge. The fish also has to fit in a 20 long for life and be fairly decent parents to the fry since I can't setup a fry tank. Any ideas for a pair? Also, no Apistos, Kribs, etc. I want a fish that will greet you at the glass.

jonclark96

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2009
Frederick MD
That is a pretty strict list of requirements for a fish to fit into. I am not aware of any New World cichlid that will live and breed in a 20 long for life that isn't a cryptoheros or apisto. Eliminating kribs and other pelvicachromis shortens the list even further. About the only cichlid that would fit the bill would be a group of shell dwellers like multis or brevis (Africans).

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Not all cryptos are super easy to breed. Look at nanoleutas or panamensis. Neither really exceed 4" and I hear are tougher to breed than your convict type of cryptos

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Just looked up the Nanoluteus and wow they're beautiful! If I can find a pair at the auction I might see if I can get them.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I also didn't mean to say no Cryptoheros at all, just meant not the prolific breeders whose fry you can't give away. If there's any more of them that are. Ire challenging it breed and you can sell the fry for at least a few cents a piece let me know.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Any more ideas, still liking the Nanoluteus but I want to have options since there's going to be 12 tables of fish at the auction and there'll probably be all sorts if cichlids but I want to have some backups. I really like Red Ceibals but I think they need something like a 40B for a pair. Would a pair of Rainbows be doable?

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Well Nevermind about the auction part. The tank I keep all my spare sponge filters in to cycle other new tanks with has Ich AND and Internal Parasite so it'll be a while before I'm getting any new fish. Once it is all cured up does anyone know of a source for Nanoluteus?

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
If you like something at the auction, don't let the lack of seeded filter hold you back, just be prepared to do more frequent WCs for a few weeks. WC on a 20gal should take about 5mins...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store