A New Beginning...[Pic Heavy]

Kyle_91

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2010
Centreville,MD
Wow! Haven't been on here in ages it feels like, been really busy with a new promotion @ my job so all is well otherwise!
I've recently housed a Flowerhorn cichlid for about 3 years in my 90 gallon for the longest time. He went from 2.5" and had him at a solid 13"! However I did the right thing..., he was getting huge and needed a bigger home; Long story short, left him off to a good person that would properly house him...

So to start fresh, I made a trip to House of Tropicals in MD and finally dropped some money on an Amazon biotope community setup.

Filtration: 2 AC110's
Heating: 2 200w fluval heaters
Substrate: pea gravel mix (same as I use w/ flowerhorn)
Lighting: 48" long day/night led light (recently used as well)
The Biotope: Some rocks that I've had laying around and used in my previous setups. 3 Beautiful pieces of Maylasian driftwood, and plenty of live plants from hair grass to anubis to cabomba, to sword plants and more...
Stock: 4 black neons, 6 red/blue neons, 4 angel fish, 4 buenos aires tetras

IMG_3768.JPGIMG_3769.JPGIMG_3773.JPGIMG_3780.JPGIMG_3782.JPGIMG_3784.JPGIMG_3785.JPGIMG_3786.JPGIMG_3787.JPGIMG_3796.JPGIMG_3797.JPGIMG_3799.JPGIMG_3800.JPG

** excuse the different white balanced lighting I was using on my camera **

I know its only day 2, but the fish are all schooling together, plants still look healthy, and everyone is eating!
Off to a good start, what ya think?

IMG_3768.JPG

IMG_3769.JPG

IMG_3773.JPG

IMG_3780.JPG

IMG_3782.JPG

IMG_3784.JPG

IMG_3785.JPG

IMG_3786.JPG

IMG_3787.JPG

IMG_3796.JPG

IMG_3797.JPG

IMG_3799.JPG

IMG_3800.JPG

Kyle_91

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2010
Centreville,MD
I actually bought it from petsmart, its the National Geographic 48" long led fixture. Really nice light!
The orange/blackwater look from the light is actually a shroud I bought to add some deep rooted looking color to the tank and to bring out the colors.

Kyle_91

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2010
Centreville,MD
Welp, I did away with my 48" led lighting and went with a more halogen spot, kind of look... Its defiantly gonna make the tank alot easier to clean and maintain since there isn't a light in my way now.
Went to Lowes the other day and bought a nice simple plug in track lighting system and some plants to hang down to create a more natural feel in the aquarium...
Heres a few shots of what the outcome is!

** Cell phone pics, sorry **

tracklight1.jpgtracklight2.jpgtracklight3.jpgtracklight4.jpg

I highly recommend this lighting setup to anyone! And its easy to install in minutes!

Later on, I'll get a few better shots with my DSLR.

tracklight1.jpg

tracklight2.jpg

tracklight3.jpg

tracklight4.jpg

kevbc03

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2008
Cleveland
I love your setup!

I want to do a similar project with the hanging plants, only I want the roots to be submersed in the water for nitrate removal.

Looks awesome man, nice lighting too

Kyle_91

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2010
Centreville,MD
I love your setup!

I want to do a similar project with the hanging plants, only I want the roots to be submersed in the water for nitrate removal.

Looks awesome man, nice lighting too
Thank you!
As a matter in fact, I recently got my hands on a philodendron (pothos hanging plant) and trimmed the roots, cleaned it well, and actually submersed it on the top of the driftwood I have in there. I've had the plant in there for about a week now and my nitrate/ammonia levels are not a problem anymore! Its growing outta the tank like crazy now! - I recommend this setup to anyone thats shooting for a planted tank.

**EDIT** Forgot photos :nilly:

pothos1.jpgpothos2.jpgpothos3.jpg

** Excuse the cell phone pic quality **

pothos1.jpg

pothos2.jpg

pothos3.jpg

killerfahaka

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2007
Texas
Nice set up, a canister filter would give you cleaner look.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Great setup you have going. Really like it.

Not really. Same amount of stuff sticking into the tank. And I would say overall these are easier to clean really simple.

Nice set up, a canister filter would give you cleaner look.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Is that a 150 tall? because I`m exploring stocking ideas and am thinking of buying a 150 tall and make a low tech set up.
Youre off to an amazing start the tank looks very good

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store