new tank......want more fish

robert.mccook.elm

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 10, 2013
California
well i recently moved and in the process i upgraded my tank. i finally have a sump which is great. the question i have is that now i have 110gals my tank looks pretty empty. i currently have 3 archer, 1 knight goby, 1 butis butis, and 3 mollies. the question is im not sure what i should add. i like monos but i fear my tank is to small. i also like figure 8 puffer but i fear it will sample all my other fish. do you guys think either of those would work in my new tank? if so why or why not. and do you have any other ideas. so my tank is 60 x 18 x 24 and my turn over rate is over ten times via the pump for my sump and i have extra powerheads if needed. i am also using crushed coral sand. so any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

WinterAlloy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2012
North GA, USA
I would think that the puffer MAY be problematic to the butis and goby. But, you may not. The monos are going to want to school. Also, research the salinity requirements for you of your fish; you may find different requirements and/or ranges.

Sent from my C771 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

robert.mccook.elm

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 10, 2013
California
yea this is why i like outside opinions because these are concerns i have too. i like my butis and it would be very sad to see him get chewed on by a puffer. as the same time i would also fear him attacking the puffer, he is quite the aggressive fish. most the fish i have are fairly flexible with salinity with the exception of the knight goby. i know that the monos would eventually need higher end salinity, which was another concern. at some point my wife does want me to make that switch over to salt water and getting monos may be the starting point for the switch. my problem is that my tank is just so empty and i would like to add some more life to the tank. do you have any other suggestions of what i could possibly add?

WinterAlloy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2012
North GA, USA
Lol. I just noticed that you had put the dimensions in the first post. When I asked for the dimensions in my post I was reading MFK while I was on the fly.... my bad!

So....

This is a difficult topic. I too am trying to fill that void in my tanks. What is your salinity now? What is your target salinity, or at what progression do you add salt?

robert.mccook.elm

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 10, 2013
California
no worries.

So my Salinity now is 1.008. i tend to float mine between 1.008 up to 1.012. when i do change it i do so over the course of a month or so. i just figure that in the wild the salinity will fluctuate with the weather. so as of now i don't plan on going over 1.012. having said that, if i get a fish that eventually needs higher salinity then i will raise it.

WinterAlloy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2012
North GA, USA
What color are your mollies? Right now you seem to have low salinity brackish fish, with a possible exception to your archers. What species are your archers? I mention the above, wondering if you have considered orange chromides.

robert.mccook.elm

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 10, 2013
California
my archers are the [FONT=arial, sans-serif]Toxotes jaculatrix. i have some orange and white mollies, some yellow and black, and one greenish molly. i have thought about chromides but i fear that at only 3inchs my archers will eventually eat them. i buy my mollies big to avoid that possibility. all my mollies are 4inchs+. i like the chromides im just worried about them being eaten. [/FONT]

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store