Best bottled bacteria/instant cycle product?

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
I'd like to hear peoples thoughts on which of these type of thing work best for kick starting a new tank.

And before anyone says "you don't need those just blah blah blah", the light stocking plus pothos on my main tank makes it impossible to completely cycle media for when I need to set up a quarantine tank for new arrivals. I have a sponge filter that usually runs in the sump of the big tank, but because there is so much other media, and because of the pothos, it isn't well enough established to run the quarantine tank without the addition of something like Seachem Stability to avoid an ammonia spike. I've generally tried to avoid this sort of thing in the past, but I seem to have found a legitimate use for it...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Heretik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
The Great White North
I've used tetra safestart in the past and had good results. Tank was fully cycled in a week dosing with ammonia.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Honestly, none of them work.

LOL, like a broken record .......

David, check out these 2 past discussions. To cut to the chase read post #22 in the first link.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...achem-Stability-Really-Work-or-just-Temporary

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...T-TO-THE-TEST-blank-slate-(daily-perams-pics)

Here's a portion of my comment from the second link, then please someone tell me exactly how that could all be true, if none of these products work. :)

Stability works, no question about it.

Yesterday I took on some fish from a friend with no real advance warning. Stats on this tank are 6 ft 125 gallon, filtered by 3 established AC 500's. (110's) Previous fish in this tank was a single 7" cichlid, only resident in this tank for the past several months. Current stock as of yesterday AM - two 12" snakeheads, and five 5" clown loaches. Used initial double dose of Stability (1 cap per 10 gallons) - and 24 hrs later still no sign of any type of ammonia spike. I will continue with 1 cap per 10 gallons for the rest of the week and do not foresee any problems.

That tank went from a single 7" cichlid (that's all that was in that 125 for several months) to dropping two 12" snakeheads, and five 5" clown loaches. Bamb! And not a single hiccup in ammonia when using Seachem Stability.

Some of today's bacteria in a bottle definitely work.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Cheers Neil, I figured seachem would be a good option based on their reputation. I'll keep dosing it when the new fish arrive.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
LOL, like a broken record .......

David, check out these 2 past discussions. To cut to the chase read post #22 in the first link.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...achem-Stability-Really-Work-or-just-Temporary

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...T-TO-THE-TEST-blank-slate-(daily-perams-pics)

Here's a portion of my comment from the second link, then please someone tell me exactly how that could all be true, if none of these products work. :)

That tank went from a single 7" cichlid (that's all that was in that 125 for several months) to dropping two 12" snakeheads, and five 5" clown loaches. Bamb! And not a single hiccup in ammonia when using Seachem Stability.

Some of today's bacteria in a bottle definitely work.
Your filters were already live, though. I wouldn't think the stock change would make a huge difference if they've got enough bb to handle it already.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Your filters were already live, though. I wouldn't think the stock change would make a huge difference if they've got enough bb to handle it already.
No, you don't think so? Try it some time & let me know how that works out for you. :)

After adding the new fish I had 0.0 ammonia readings in that tank. Without Seachem Stability there's no way in hell that I would have seen numbers like that in the first 48 hrs, and then continuous like nothing even happened. That tank, like most, should have, and would have gone through a mini cycle while the bio bacteria struggled to catch up to the sudden increase in bio load.

The bio bacteria in that set up had been supporting a single 7" cichlid, for months. That's it.

In an instant that same bio bacteria had to go from supporting the bio load of a single 7" cichlid, to supporting two adult 12" snakeheads, and five fat & sassy 5" clown loaches. That's a MASSIVE difference in bio load. We're not talking about adding a couple of small fish to an established tank. Look at it this way, the 5 clown loaches easily compared to the bio load produced by the 7" cichlid, easily, and then some. Now add in TWO FEET of adult snakehead. Try that without adding bacteria to meet the increase in bio load and that = mini cycle, or worse, a total crash. Something that happens all the time in this hobby to folks who don't understand how a balanced system works.

Reactions: nuworldjo

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
I've used Stabilty with good results several times. Often times I'll use a bit of seeded media for a little insurance, but as Neil points out, no where near enough to handle the load by itself. Just a lil peace of mind really.

Just my results, but I never had any minicyles using Stabilty.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store