Just had a stingray die and don't know why horrible day

Scott Evergreen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2014
Montana
Just was in my office this morning fed the rays chopped earthworms just as a do each night and morn. came back an hour later and my female ray was not moving. I checked her by hand and she was unresponsive. The parameters of tank we perfect however I saw a few small worms at surface of water I have never seen. What should I do I'm honestly so bummed to lose my ray and worried other will pass. Any help appreciated

image.jpg

image.jpg

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
United Species of Arowana
Looks like bacterial internal/external infection. Your water can't be perfect for such COD

Scott Evergreen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2014
Montana
Did water parameter tests again and good could old food in sand have caused. What is best wAy to treat bacteria so other rays not affected?

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Very sad. Sorry to hear about her passing. Best of luck figuring out what might be the cause and fix.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
Sorry for the loss, that was a beautiful specimen. You may never know the cause. One thing to consider is if a ray is dead for an extended period before being found its underside can become very red in appearance such as yours it doesnt necessarily mean bacterial.

Could be bacterial, could have had a temporary PH crash.

Be sure all filtration is free of any food contaminants, rinse media out really well with TANK water.

GL

Scott Evergreen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2014
Montana
Could it been a lack of oxygen I have a pondmaster air pump in the sump and did not have air running into actual tank? Sump was low full air tube was not submerged. Just added another pondmaster to add air directly into tank. Just racking my brain. Thank you all for your comments realy apprciated thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store