Need Help ID-ing Fish

motorhead1980

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2013
Ontario
I can't seem to figure out what type of fish this is. I received it for free as a flower horn, which I know it is not. It has grown from about 3" to approx. 9" since April, and is very thick. Any help would be appreciated.photo 3.JPGphoto 4.JPGphoto 5.JPG

photo 5.JPG

photo 4.JPG

photo 3.JPG

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Since a FH is a hybrid of 2 species, in any spawn, there can be any number of color and shape combinations, colorful, non-colorful, light ones, dark ones, this looks to be one of the dark version individuals.
I would assume most FH breeders would cull out the non-flashy, non-toysRus individuals, but this one simply made it thru the culling process, hence its cost.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Yup its a flowerhorn, just a very bad quality one.

motorhead1980

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2013
Ontario
Yes, this thing is a beast, jumps out of the water to get at food, never seen a fish this aggressive feeding, or put on mass as fast as he has. He has a nice set of fangs, so should be interesting to see how he turns out.

the animal guy

Arapaima
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2009
Either an unfaded rt or a tx-FH. I think it's an unfaded RT as is.

if you replace with natural gravels, and have his water at 85 degree, and let him settle.. once hes adapted, turn on the light and show him the mirror till till he gets angry. I promise you will see another side of him. If your water is clean and established.

then take more update pictures!!

CrazyCichlids

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2008
Manahawkin, NJ
Either an unfaded rt or a tx-FH. I think it's an unfaded RT as is.

if you replace with natural gravels, and have his water at 85 degree, and let him settle.. once hes adapted, turn on the light and show him the mirror till till he gets angry. I promise you will see another side of him. If your water is clean and established.

then take more update pictures!!
Wow I have to say that I agree 100% with Animal Guy on this one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store